The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

The drastic occurrence of Islamophobia

NBC News
A 2016 New York protest occurred after the death of two Muslims in Queens, spurring local support for “Muslim Lives Matter.”

The world has long been dominated by the three Abrahamic religions: Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

As are many different groups throughout history, the three have had their share of persecution and prejudice. Most notably, the Jewish religion and ethnic group have been the subjects of much hate in many different cases, so much so that the word “anti-Semitism” is known by all. Whether it be stereotypes of monetary greed and media control or mass genocide like the Holocaust, Jews around the globe have had a target on their back for years. Attention has been brought to the cause, and the world is trying to crack down on Jewish discrimination. It is imperfect, but organizations like the ADL and the UN are fighting to help our Jewish neighbors.

The mainstream media tends to ignore one group in a positive light or when they are persecuted. The religion of Islam has been around since 610 CE. Starting in the Arabian Empire and expanding throughout the Middle East, Asia, and Africa, Islam is one of the biggest belief systems in the world.

One problem occurs; it so happens that with much conflict happening in the Middle East, that is where many terrorists reside. They are at war, after all, and many extremist groups are bred. Since they are almost all Muslims, it paints a horrible image of Islam around the globe. What is a peaceful religion is portrayed on international media as a group of lifeless, horrendous pigs.

Some of the most influential men and women of our time have been Muslim. Muhammad Ali, arguably the best boxer ever, talked of pacificism and loving people. Malala Yousafzai is a world-renowned women’s rights activist, yet she is Muslim. Some did speak of violence, like Malik el-Shabazz (Malcolm X). However, he was widely influential in the United States civil rights movement, and he did become extremely pacifist in his late years of public speaking and life, as Islam showed him peace and enlightenment.

Now, some may say, what discrimination are you talking about? All the people I have named have thousands and thousands of supporters while their Islamic beliefs are out there publically. A prime example is the consequences of the global view of Muslims after the Hamas attack on Israel in October 2023.

The Hamas are a terrorist group based in the Gaza Strip of Israel (141 square miles), where around 2 million Palestinians reside. Furthermore, yes, they are Muslim. Due to their extremist and horrifying actions against innocent Israelis, the innocent Palestinians have faced enormous backlash.

To display support for the Palestinians will result in you being “canceled.” Anwar El Ghazi, a soccer player for the German club Mainz, was let go of his duties after condemning the murder of innocent Palestinians after Israeli government forces, who control Gaza and who can go in and out, entered the city. To say they were not pacifists would be an understatement. He tweeted about the ending of the conflict and death for both sides but was still released because, well, he was supporting the Islamic terrorists.

The problem is not the condemnation and call for action against Hamas. They are an extremist and dangerous group that should be dealt with and face consequences for the genocide they committed. However, Palestinians, and by extension, Muslims, have been labeled as hateful people.

This explanation also fits the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center. An Afghani terrorist organization, Al-Qaeda, carried out the tragedy, and now I hear kids joke to Middle Easterns that they are bombers. The same goes for after the Boston Marathon bombings.

Tragedy occurs throughout history through all perspectives. The Roman Empire killed and conquered, yet they were part of the church. So did the Mongols, the Ottomans, and the English. To find a horrible Muslim and label all Muslims is like how one Black person may commit a crime, so the whole population is seen as dangerous. And yes, some people believe that.

Students at the universities of Alabama and Georgia discovered that “terrorist attacks” by Islamist extremists receive 357% more media attention than attacks committed by those who are not Muslim or white. The Muslim would receive around 105 headlines compared to the 15 of someone of another faith or skin color.

Islam quite literally teaches its followers to give to others compulsively. They teach them to be faithful to their God, pray daily, and commit good deeds. They were all created equal and should treat others as such.

When I open social media and see a post about the Israel-Palestine war, and yes, it is becoming a blood-full war, someone with an Israel flag in their name can say to put down the Palestinians and kill the Muslims. They can speak of all the terrible things Hamas has done and follow it with that the Palestinians have it coming, and they should be bombed. I do not see this account being banned. If I see a soccer player condemn the genocide, he must be released. If someone says to kill the Israelis and, therefore, Jews, they would be neo-Nazis. We as a society are so hypocritical and gullible that it is honestly terrifying for our future. People will believe the first post they see that Muslims are committing genocide and are on a rampage to end other religions, especially Judaism. Even if you look closely, they are taught to respect everyone. That is something it seems most of us do not do.

It is disappointing that in an “enlightened” society where we have all this knowledge at our feet, we decide to be pessimistic, prejudiced, and hateful towards our fellow neighbors. If we are to condemn hate, we must condemn all hate. We must not only be tolerant but accepting. Our society may be more tolerant, yet we do not have open arms. Softmindedness and conformity will be our downfall.

The religion of Islam is just another belief, another people. The few who stray from true faith do not speak for their people, country, or religion. If our society could learn for themselves and not be blinded by mainstream media, maybe we would see the beauty of humans, all of them. Around 25% of the world’s inhabitants are Islamic. Our world is not on fire. Before you turn on the TV and see biased reporters talking of the Muslims terrorizing Israel, know that it is the terrorist group, not the Palestinians. There in Gaza lies families of innocent Muslims, looking to live their life just as you, yet their God and their faith aims towards their societal and physical execution.

We must live as brothers and sisters. That includes every racial group, every ethnic group, every nationality, and every religion. That includes all Muslims.