The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Dark Matter: Pearl Jam’s Latest Album

On April 19, Pearl Jam released their newest album titled Dark Matter. The band catapulted to fame after their debut album, Ten, became a 90s grunge staple. Produced by Andrew Watt, known for his work with stars like Miley Cyrus and Paul McCartney, Dark Matter is a return to form to what cemented Pearl Jam as one of the defining bands in grunge. 

Pearl Jam is also one of the defining bands in my life. As a kid, my dad would alternate between their various albums in the car, constantly quizzing me on song and album titles. Even in the house, there would always be music playing, including Eddie Vedder’s solo albums. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to see both Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam at the Ohana Festival, and the more times I see them live, the more I love their music.  

The album’s producer, Andrew Watt, has also been a lifelong fan. Despite being only an infant during Pearl Jam’s heyday, he has always dreamed of working with the band. Many people were initially skeptical about Watt as he primarily works with pop stars, a stark contrast to alternative rock; however, widespread consensus believes that Dark Matter is Pearl Jam’s best album since the 90s, with a rating of 4.7 out of 5. Upon listening to the album, the vocals and instrumentation are reminiscent of the band’s previous albums, but the sound can sometimes feel overproduced. Instead of Vedder’s typical raw, raspy vocals expected from a grunge band, the production of Dark Matter polishes Vedder’s voice, modernizing the songs. Thankfully, in true Eddie Vedder fashion, most lyrics are unintelligible yet still full of emotion. 

Similarly to Ten, Dark Matter weaves upbeat rock songs with slower acoustic songs. Although the songs on Dark Matter never directly mention the band itself, the lyrics set a reflective tone over the band’s career. In the song “Upper Hand,” Vedder sings, “the distance to the end/Is closer now than it’s ever been,” referencing its themes of time and growth. “Upper Hand,” like many other tracks, highlights Mike McCready’s skill as a guitarist and Matt Cameron’s as a drummer;  in the song’s final minutes, the music crescendos into a powerful guitar solo. As a guitarist myself, I know it will take many years of practice before I can even attempt any of McCready’s solos on this album.

After countless listens, I honestly do not believe that this album has any skippable songs, but as of now, my favorite tracks are “Scared of Fear,” “Dark Matter,” and “Running.” Growing up with Pearl Jam, this album did not disappoint and solidified their place as one of my favorite bands of all time.