The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

The Rising Controversy Over Jojo Siwa Then Vs. Now: Includes Spotlight on Her New Hit Karma

Jojo Siwa is a twenty-year-old dancer, singer, actor, and internet identity. She originally became famous for being a dancer in two seasons of the hit series Dance Moms. Growing up, she has always had a presence in the media. She is one of the country’s wealthiest young stars, with an estimated 20 million net worth. As a child, her personality was represented with bright neon colors, pink everywhere, and hair bows to the max. Many other children from all over the world would buy her extravagant bows, clothes, and accessories. She was a significant partner with Claire’s, a store targeted to young children. Even at 18, she still had a ‘childish’ personality and would dress highly young for her age. Recently, she has made a drastic change in her style and music. She made this change by releasing her new hit, “Karma.” “Karma” is a song with a music video that came out on April 5th. The music video has faced much controversy throughout the media, with people mocking it and her new style. People have just learned that her new song was not an original by Siwa. Since learning this, people all over the internet have not held back from addressing their opinions. Siwa has received much backlash for this and has tried to defend her name. This article will cover her new song and its controversy, her drastic change in her style and music, and what the media thinks of the situation.

Jojo Siwa’s new song “Karma” has been on the music charts this month. It appeared as number 2 on the music charts for two weeks. If you are on social media, you know that it is hard to escape the videos of Jojo Siwas’s music video and people mocking her because of it. Many viewers realized that a singer named Brit Smith had made the same song in 2012, and this caused chaos. Many people believed that Siwa stole the song from Smith. During the confrontation for stealing the song, Siwa states, “What happens is people write songs, and then, they don’t do anything with them. Then, a few years later, it makes sense for another artist.” Smith also responded to the confrontation, stating that she wished she went with Karma to be her first single in 2012 instead of Provocative. She says, “I’m just happy people are hearing it and liking it.” So, as of right now, there does not seem to be much anger between them, and everything seems to be smoothed over.

Additionally, many people observe Siwa’s new look, makeup, and style from the music video with harsh judgment and backlash. Viewers have claimed she looks like the character Syndrome from the Incredibles Disney movie series or a ‘lost member’ of the famous band Kiss. Her appearance has completely flipped, and in an interview with the GLAAdawards, she states, “No one has made, in my generation, this extreme of a switch. I am the first in my generation. It is very scary, but someone’s got to do it.” However, this extreme switch that Jojo has made has not impressed others as she would have liked. The media has not stopped mocking her and her new style. Also, others have not been shy about saying she is not the first of her generation to make an extreme switch. Many people in the media have claimed that she is just a “Miley Cyrus wanna-be.” Many online viewers who grew up watching her YouTube videos and watching her on Dance Moms miss the fun, hyper, colorful child she used to be. Her massive change has shocked the world, and most people are highly judgmental of her transformation from child pop star to adult content. Much of her music video included adult themes and imagery, which quickly upset people, with many saying that the music video was not a good transformation but a messy one. Siwa’s drastic style change has upset the media and her fans.

Over the years, Jojo Siwa has departed her well-known mark as the bubbly, girly, and kid-like media identity. Her recent far-reaching change has at fill tilt upset her fans and people all over social media. She has been mocked, made fun of, and imitated by others. Even though she is receiving all the backlash, she keeps her head high and will not let the negativity get to her, and she is an acceptable role model for bravery and perseverance while battling judgment.

View Comments (1)