The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

High school football games are great, even if you don’t like football

Laguna+Beach+High+School+students+watch+the+Friday+night+football+game+against+Santa+Ana.+Students+joyously+laughed+with+excitement+over+the+various+touchdowns.+
Officer Ashley
Laguna Beach High School students watch the Friday night football game against Santa Ana. Students joyously laughed with excitement over the various touchdowns.

It’s been a long school week. Friday rolls around and you can’t wait for a break. Friday night football games are the best way to kick off the weekend. Football is an integral part of the high school experience, but what about the students who don’t like the sport? Don’t worry; football games can be much more than just sitting on the bleachers watching players run across the field. 

Before the game starts, ASB makes countless posters that line the halls to build anticipation for the game. Every sign details the game’s theme, whether it be Western or U.S.A. This allows the students to get dressed up and encourage student participation. 

“My favorite part about the game is being able to dress up for the theme in cute outfits,” said 12th-grade Annabella Miller.  It’s so fun to see a sea of cowboy hats or red, white, and blue. 

Themes also help create a sense of community among the students; there are no separate sections depending on where you sit at lunch or who you hang out with. There is just one student section for everyone. 

“A lot of people show up and it feels like you’re missing out if you don’t go. I like that everyone is involved,” said 12th-grader Luna Alonso. 

The football games are reserved for more than just students, however. Anyone in the community can go. The packed crowd of students, parents, and Laguna locals add to the roar of enthusiasm after hearing “Touchdown, Laguna Beach!”. Regardless of whether or not Laguna makes a touchdown, the pep commissioners are always leading the student section in chants to encourage the players. Everyone is so energetic it is impossible not to be excited. The cheerleaders lining the track also lead the school in chants. The cheer team spends many hours preparing for their halftime performances, which always ends up being one of the highlights of the evening. Dance Company’s performance of Nicki Minaj during halftime for the U.S.A-themed game on September 22, 2023, lit up the faces of many students. 

“We practiced for weeks and it definitely paid off!,” said Dance Company member Ayu Burchman.

After the halftime performance ends, students enjoy stopping at the food trucks for delicious food and ice cream. Many options range from Mexican food to pizza to ice cream sandwiches. There is an allowance for the students to catch up with their friends away from the crowds. Many students take advantage of the football game to go into town with their friends afterward to eat instead. Jack in the Box and restaurants on Forest Avenue are just a few examples of spots that come back to life after the game ends. 

High school football games bring students and the community together. So, whether you’re a football enthusiast or not, these Friday night games undoubtedly offer an experience worth savoring where the creation of lasting memories starts the weekend in the best way possible.