The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Chiefs & 49ers Meet Again in SB 58

Everything comes down to this: the 2024 Super Bowl on February 11, 2024, will have the Kansas City Chiefs facing off against the San Francisco 49ers in this 2020 Super Bowl rematch. In that 2020 Super Bowl, the results were the Kansas City Chiefs 31 points over the San Francisco 49ers 21 points. One of the 49ers’ best players, George Kittle, said after losing in Super Bow 2020, “I will be back here. And I will be back with motherf—ing vengeance.” Both of these teams have rich histories and die-hard fanbases. Both of these teams fought very hard to get here(see The Road to the Super Bowl Part 1-3) and won many narrow games. However, they were able to make it to the big game and will both be locked in for a game that could end on the last play.

Super Bowl LVIII or Super Bowl 58 is all ready to fire away at Allegient Stadium, home of the Las Vegas Raiders.  Fortunately for me, I got a very exclusive tour of this stadium before the Super Bowl on November 22, 2023. And I have to say that this is definitely one of the best I have ever visited. I highly recommend watching a game there or getting a tour. Nicknamed the Death Star because of its high tech, and dark spheric shape, this stadium is giant. There is a normal seating level for fans, which is still cool, but there are many exclusive clubs, bars, and rooms below. One of my favorite parts is the area above the stadium, where they have a bar and a beautiful horizontal view of the whole field. The entire place is colored in the Raider’s colors of black, grey, and white, which also gives the stadium a clean look. There are many fantastic pieces of artwork around the stadium, like on the suites, on giant walls, or hanging from the ceiling. It is great because from the outside and inside, the whole place looks super futuristic and recognizes the past of their organization. Also, with Usher performing the half-time show it will add even more hype and excitement for this hopefully intense game.

This matchup will be highly important as The 49ers would total 6 Championships if they win, but their most recent since 1995. They have seven appearances and are tied with the Cowboys for third-most all-time. On the other hand, though the Kansas City Chiefs have won 3 Super Bowls two of which have been more recent (2020 when they beat the 49ers, and 2023 when they beat the Eagles in a nail-biting win last year). Both of these teams won close Championship games and are looking to win by more margins. 

The 49ers barely snuck away with a win against the Lions as they were able to come back and win 34-31 during the NFC Championship game. Running back Christian McCaffrey this year’s NFL Offensive Player of the Year, had an incredible game with 2 touchdowns and a total of 132 yards. The receiving duo of Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk was great as Samuel led the team with 84 yards and Aiyuk was able to snag a touchdown that proved pivotal in their win. Quarterback Brock Purdy on the air had 267 pass yards, threw a touchdown, and threw one interception. The team will look towards Nick Bosa, Chase Young, and Fred Warner to get loose with multiple tackles and some sacks. Charvarius Ward will have to lock down players like tight end Travis Kelce and wide receiver Rashee Rice. This great team really has to be communicating and make sure that they don’t allow the Chiefs to get ahead as it could mean the game is over.  

The Chiefs beat my favorites to win the Super Bowl by seven points as they overcame the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC Championship game. Mahomes was once again able to get hot and pass it on to his teammate Travis Kelce. Of Mahomes’ 241 pass yards, Travis Kelce was able to catch 116 yards and a touchdown. The dynamic duo will be going up against some tough competition so, they will have to be able to help each other out in sticky situations. Running back Isiah Pacheco had 68 rushing yards and a rushing touchdown, but he will be facing many other Pro Bowlers on the 49ers’ Defensive side. L’Jarius Sneed and Trent McDuffie will be facing many elite 49ers receivers so, they will have to make sure they don’t allow any deep passes. The Chiefs do have a recipe for success and will need to follow it if they hope to win their 4th Super Bowl. 

Overall, both of these teams are the best of the best and will put up a big fight. However, the 49ers just have so many players who are willing to make elite plays. So, put me down that I predict a 49ers revenge game win in the Super Bowl as they narrowly upset the Chiefs by getting a game-winning touchdown.