The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Part 3: The Road to the Super Bowl

Part 3: The Road to the Super Bowl

This has been a great and very intriguing year for the NFL. Despite the many injuries, teams have had so many incredible surprises showcasing their perseverance and ability to continue winning even with star players on the bench. Teams that struggled last year are now on top, and teams that once were the best have started to crumble and fall. So here is my continued and updated prediction for who will win the Super Bowl for the 2023-2024 season.

The Third/Conference Round

AFC:

Baltimore Ravens (1) vs Kansas City Chiefs (3) Predicted Winner: The Baltimore Ravens

Both of these teams were able to win their Divisional games and although I didn’t predict the Chiefs to win their game, the Ravens successfully triumphed in a relaxing 34-10 win over the Texans. As I expected, quarterback Lamar Jackson had a big game on the run and while passing. Jackson threw for 152 yards for two touchdowns and rushed for two touchdowns on 100 yards. But what really stood out was the Raven’s elite defense, as the only touchdown they allowed was a 67 yard punt return. The Chiefs had a very different Divisional game compared to the Ravens. They narrowly won in an exhilarating game vs the Buffalo Bills, which ended in Kansas City winning 27-24. The Bills had many chances to win, but the most heartbreaking was when their kicker badly missed the game-tying field goal with less than 2 minutes. However, who is to say that quarterback Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs wouldn’t march down the field and score? Mahomes had a good game with 215 passing yards and threw two touchdown passes. Of those two touchdown passes, he was able to connect with his main man, Travis Kelce, for a combination of 75 yards. Another great player during the game was Isiah Pacheco, who totaled 97 yards and a touchdown. Although Mahomes threw no interceptions, one problem that the Chiefs struggled with vs the Bills was fumbles. Mecole Hardman touched the ball twice and fumbled twice, one of which was at Bill’s one-yard line. There will be some great matchups like Patrick Mahomes vs. Lamar Jackson, both of whom have MVP awards. Or rookie Ravens receiver Zay Flowers, who is a major deep threat, would be matched up against L’Jarius Sneed, who is an elite ball hawk. Plus, Baltimore’s tight end Isiah Likely is looking to snag touchdowns against elite Kansas City players like linebacker Nick Bolton. With the Raven’s many elite role players and the Chief’s limited number of stars, I believe the Ravens will win this game and advance to the Super Bowl. Even though the Ravens have dealt with injuries, star tight end Mark Andrews was recently cleared off of IR for this AFC Championship. But because of how dangerous the Chiefs are, I still believe they can keep this game within a touchdown and field goal.

NFC:

Detroit Lions (3) vs San Francisco 49ers (1) Predicted Winner: San Francisco 49ers 

The Lions and 49ers both had very close games, but these two teams were able to maintain their lead and win. During the Lions game, they were able to eliminate the Bucs in a 31-23 win.

During this game, Jared Goff was able to show why he deserved to be in the NFC Championship game with 287 passing yards and two passing touchdowns. He handed the keys to his running back, Jamahar Gibbs, who had 114 total yards and a rushing touchdown. Another pivotal player was Amon Ra St. Brown, who had 77 receiving yards and a touchdown. Although the offense played great the defense was able to hang in towards the end. The Lion’s defense had two interceptions, one of which came on the Buc’s final drive. Rookie Brian Branch had a great game with eight tackles and a sack. C.J. Gardner-Johnson had one of the interceptions during the game and now will be matched against San Francisco’s Deebo Samuel. Both of these players have been going at it on social media, which will make for a dangerous matchup. Unlike Johnson, though, Samuel didn’t have a good game against the Packers and will look to bounce back. Brock Purdy had 252 passing yards and a touchdown throw to George Kittle when they outlasted the Green Bay Packers 24-21. Christian McCaffrey had an amazing game with two rushing touchdowns and a total of 128 yards. The Lions will need players like Aidan Hutchinson and Alex Anzalone to help bring down McCaffrey. When watching these teams play, it is very easy to see their players’ immense talent. However, because of the many role and Pro Bowl players, I predict the 49ers win by a touchdown in a close game.