LBHS Girls Soccer program starts with a fresh start this season

2022-2023 Girls Varsity Soccer stand in a line at the beach. This team had an overall 6-11-4 record last season. (Left to right: Carly Anderson, Cady Dartez, Payton Taylor, Lindsay Martin, Macy Draper, Lauren Martin, Sylvie Henry, Rylee Goode, Alea Dillow, Baylor Lund, Emmy Regal, Cadence Perry, Aliyah Kanter, Taylor Smith, Anna Sandquist, Mitzi Ostrick, and Finley Maynard)
Candice Dartez

Girls soccer, a highly regarded sport at Laguna Beach High School, is making waves this coming season with many aspirations to succeed. They are starting fresh this season with a new coach and many experienced returning players. After a chaotic season last year, the players are ready to return stronger and with redemption to win. They are set to play some of the most challenging teams in the Sunset League (Division Two). 

Led by head coach Max Woodruff, the team is in good hands for the season. With many prestigious achievements, Woodruff is a well-rounded coach and player. He played as a kid in his hometown until he was seventeen. He got an Achilles injury, cutting his career short. He later moved to California to pursue coaching and earned a master’s in sports leadership. This led to Max becoming a coach in Laguna Beach. 

What do you think contributed to the win?

“Last night’s win came from coming together between both teams and many practices last week. Good practices and hard work got us a win over Sage Hill. I think it will be more difficult in the league playing some tougher schools, but for our first game, I can’t complain.”

What are your feelings about the upcoming season?

“I am excited for the upcoming season. We got two great squads and loads of good players. I know we will have to use the players in both teams. So, I think it is going to be good to be able to bring players up and put players down. Overall, we are going to have a great season. We have many freshmen in the program, so the future is looking bright for Laguna Beach soccer.”

What impact do you hope to leave on this team?

“I just want the coaching to get back with Laguna Beach, and I know over the past few years, it has not been the greatest program. I want to get as many girls back out as possible, have as many fun experiences as we can, and win some games along the way.”

We wish the best of luck to the girl’s soccer program for this upcoming season!