Concussion awareness

Grace Sauers, PR Manager

From football to cross country, every sport comes with a certain amount of risk, from pulling a muscle to a injuring a knee. However, one of the most dangerous and common sports-related injuries is a concussion.

“What people don’t realize is that the students look finetypically they look physically fineand sometimes students only report having a headache or difficulty focusing,” said director of special education Irene White.

The amount of time students miss school for concussions can range anywhere from a couple of days to months. Although there are many protocols in place to aid students who have concussions, many students and parents are unaware of them. As of March of this year, 22 students in the district have concussions16 of those as a result of sports-related injuries.

“There are three things we focus on while attempting to prevent concussions: parent communication, student communication and overall health. Many students do not realize that falling or passing out can sometimes be just as dangerous as getting hit in the head by a ball,” said White.

Students should be very cautious about concussions; prolonged concussions that do not receive treatment can lead to permanent brain damage, trouble focusing and vision problems. If students believe that they have or may have a concussion, they should contact their coaches immediately. Concussions cause great stress for those afflicted. There are are several systems in place to deal with students who miss school and important school work as a result of concussions.

“Depending upon the condition of the students, the doctor may prescribe total rest or the doctor may prescribe little mental activity where a student may have a modified schedule or be exempt from homework,” said White.

Even in sports where head injuries may seem unlikely, every athlete is at risk.

“You can get a concussion when you’re doing backstroke if you don’t count your strokes and hit your head on the wall,” said sophomore Perla Madrigal.

When a student gets a concussion, adjustments in the school day or in workload may be available.

If you believe you may have a concussion, or you feel disoriented or nauseated after hitting your head, tell your coach immediately.

“Although many students think they will be fine, ‘one football game is not going to end a career,’ concussions are head injuries, which means, untreated, they can turn into serious lifelong problems and even death,” said White.