The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Jewelry: a form of expression

Jewelry first originated in Iran and the Mediterranean – it has been around for centuries and used by different types of people all over the globe. Jewelry can be traced back to civilizations blooming in the Mediterranean from 3,000 to 400 BC. Stone amulets and seals were the most common pieces. Many of these carried spiritual meanings, stars, and floral designs. They were also often offered to gods that specific groups believed in and many used it to decorate statues.

One of the biggest debates when choosing which jewelry you like is finding which looks best on you: silver or gold. Many believe that gold is suitable on tanner skin tones while silver looks better on paler. However, that’s not true – it is important to note that gold normally looks better on more warm undertones and silver looks better on cooler ones. If you’re neutral-toned, you can pull off both. If you are olive-toned, typically yellow and rose gold complement your undertones best. Most known in South Korea, many people go to Personal Color Analysis locations. Here, customers sit down as workers hold up different colored jewelry pieces and colored papers to see which ones suit their customers best and figure out their undertones. This does not only go for jewelry – it goes for makeup and clothing as well.

Today, jewelry is a standard accessory for many people. With stacking, layering, and dainty pieces, people use different types of jewelry to create a new and unique look. While layering jewelry isn’t always intuitive, a well-curated stack can elevate your look when it is done right. You can create a whole new mood for your outfit by pairing different necklaces, stacking your favorite rings, and playing with different piercings. Stacking jewelry can be done in many ways, whether elegant or casual. You can achieve a more relaxed coastal look using string-based bracelets paired with shell necklaces. However, you can achieve a more refined or elevated look if you are stacking simplistic gold pieces.

Gorjana is one of the most popular jewelry brands in Orange County and all of Southern California, specifically Laguna Beach as that’s where it opened. Their jewelry is mostly gold-plated, making it suitable for some contact with water and it’s also fairly affordable. There are many trending name brands of jewelry such as Tiffany’s, Cartier, and Van Cleef. Though popular, these brands have always been controversial because of their price and the fact that so many knock-offs are found either in online secondhand shops or anywhere random, like in the streets of New York City. For example, a Tiffany’s bracelet is sterling silver and not compatible with water, making it costume jewelry. Sterling silver bracelets anywhere else typically cost anywhere from twenty to sixty dollars. However, since Tiffany’s is well well-known and name brand their bracelets can cost up to one thousand dollars or more. A Tiffany’s worker shared her experience with her TikTok audience, claiming that the brand gave her a bracelet for only $20 as the actual value really is not that high.

On top of styling your jewelry right, you have to be able to take care of it. Gold-plated jewelry lasts a bit longer than brass or copper, gold-filled loses its color over time, and solid gold may not rust or tarnish but it can still get scratched. Specifically, 925 sterling silver is known to tarnish quite easily. Many of us are guilty of wearing our jewelry in the shower, ocean, pool, and any body of water. However, there are lots of ways to take care of it: do your best to avoid water, sweat, and moisture. Moisture, as well as pool chlorine, can be the leading cause of discoloration in your jewelry. In addition to avoiding water, cleaning your jewelry can be a beneficial step to add to your jewelry care. You can clean your jewelry at home for cheap by simply using warm water and mild dish soap. There are also jewelry cleaners that are found anywhere from Target to Amazon to remove tarnish and dirt from the divots of your jewelry. Keeping your jewelry appropriately stored is also crucial; padded boxes can easily help it look brand new to keep it from rusting, tarnishing, and getting dusty.