The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

The Brush and Palette team collaborates to create a successful showcase

Chloe Falk
Chloe Hajali performing for the Brush and Palette Talent Show. An estimated amount of 185 tickets were sold that night

On January 26th, 2024, Brush and Palette continued its annual talent show. The astounding group of individuals included 2023 Battle of the Bands winner Politik, Laguna Beach High School Cheer, Malia Dull, Hannah Malang & Christina Pai, Zoey Bond, Chloe Hajali, and more!

The heart-warming tradition was initially formed from the “Shapp Show”, which ran for 29 years! Many years later, Brush and Palette adopted their own twist on a tradition by hosting a talent show to gain support for the journalism class. This year, the class struggled to come up with money to pay for our website, which hosts all of our students’ amazing articles. Due to the extensive support gained from the Laguna Beach community, the team has now managed to raise more than enough to keep their website running.

After months of work, including setting up a date in the theatre, signing up tech, finding acts, and more, we put on a fun-filled night of talent for our LBHS students and parents. After selling 185 tickets, a crowd was excited to cheer on the acts. There were tons of acts getting the crowd cheering and applauding.

The journalism class size has doubled this year from around 9-10 students to an estimated 25 excited journalists. The new and returning students were ecstatic to help support the talent show. Students were signing up left and right to perform, work backstage, and promote the talent show to the best of their abilities. All students showed up early and aided with concessions, moving instruments, and helping the performers backstage during the show.

Backstage, several journalism staff and outside students worked extremely hard to keep everything organized and running smoothly throughout the show. It went so much smoother with their help and we are so excited to put on our show again next year.

With Winter Formal coming up, many students were eager to clear demerits to attend; this was the perfect opportunity. Thanks to all the students and parents, we can now afford to continue publishing our website and even begin our broadcast room for students to use. We have so many creative students, and this will help give them another space to express that creativity!