The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Remembrance of Martin Luther King Jr.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. will always go down in history for his devotion to the African American community. One of the most influential leaders during the Civil Rights Movement, Martin used nonviolent methods to protest the Jim Crow laws and protect citizens of color from discrimination. He was a leader to many people and led marches for labor rights, the right to vote, and many other rights.  

Dr. King was born on January 15, 1929, in Atlanta, GA. He was raised by his dad, Martin Luther King, Sr, and his mom, Alberta Willams King. Martin Luther King Sr. was a minister and an activist against civil rights. Alberta Williams founded the Ebenezer Choir. 

Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech was one of his most famous moments because it was inflected and powerful. His speech addressed the inequalities that African Americans face day to day. It touched millions worldwide, and his passionate delivery added to the feels. This speech continues to inspire and remind us of justice and equality. 

Many people only know Dr. King from his “I Have a Dream” speech but do not know his other outstanding contributions to fighting for justice. He condemned the Vietnam War even when it was hazardous. He also directed the Montgomery bus boycott in 1955. When he became the first president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), he led an unsuccessful Albany movement. The SCLC used nonviolent protests, but many standoff authorities responded violently. In April 1963, the SCLC went against economic injustice and segregation in Birmingham, Alabama, which started the Birmingham Campaign. The campaign, of course, used nonviolent strategies. Civilians began organizing with the SCLC to participate in matches and sit-ins. They also opened up about laws they considered unfair. 

Even though Dr. King used nonviolent strategies, he was still shockingly arrested 29 times, contently, but many charges were dropped later on. Dr. King won the Nobel Peace Prize for his nonviolent campaign against racism on October 14, 1964. He won the Nobel Peace Prize and many other awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom and the Congressional Gold Medal. 

On April 4, 1968, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee. He was fatally shot and rushed to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where he later died. Dr. King has a memorial located in West Potomac Park in Washington, D.C. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is celebrated on January 15, the third Monday of January. The holiday is a time for reflection on everything he did and advancing equality and justice for all.