The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

FLOW Fair is a Great Success!

FLOW is one of the many clubs on the LBHS campus, led by Mrs. Benson, Mr. Shen, and the club president, Anoua. Unlike some less-attended clubs, it is prevalent, possibly due to its environmental focus. The acronym represents fire, land, ocean, and water. FLOW members tend to be very involved and engage in many activities and field trips throughout the year, such as teaching the third through fourth graders at El Morro on January 18th. 

On Monday, November 6th, the club hosted a “FLOW Fair” activity on campus. This event was a group of several booths in the quad area, each with its own global warming-themed carnival game. One example was “Glacier Bowling,” where the group had prepared soda cans decorated like small icebergs and a ball to knock them over. This symbolized the downfall of glaciers nowadays and the rapid melting of permafrost in arctic areas. While this booth was mostly informative, others focused more on entertaining visitors. 

For instance, the “Cake Walk” booth was one of the more popular games. Here, you would walk around in a circle, and when your number was called, you would get a slice of cake. There were four cakes for each letter of FLOW, and they were all delicious. There was one carrot cake, two chocolate cakes, and a mint chocolate cake. Not surprisingly, given LBHS’s sweet tooth, some cakes were more popular than others. For example, Tatum Brennan’s chocolate cake disappeared after the first ten minutes! Although this one was popular, attendees were left wishing for a wider variety of flavors because there were three cakes with chocolate in them! The students who would rather have a vanilla cake had to default to chocolate or carrot, with carrot cake sadly not very popular among students. Regardless, this booth was the most popular and left memorable impressions. 

Other than these two booths, several others were both fun and informative. FLOW has emulated ASB’s ideas by using candy and other sweets to encourage people to play their games. A suggestion for club members would be to guard the candy better, as many students would come out with handfuls of candy in their sticky hands. Also, many falsely pretended to have won at the Cake Walk and still got a slice of cake.

However, the club has made a step forward in its sign-making skills, exceeding that of several other popular clubs and ASB. The signage was consistently legible, and the artwork was very professional.

The FLOW Fair was extremely popular among students and was the week’s highlight for much of LBHS. Natalia Calef, a freshman at Laguna Beach High, states, “I loved it! It was fun, and I won a bunch of candy.” If that doesn’t scream success, I don’t know what does. It allowed students to connect, have fun, and learn essential things about the environment and climate change while resorting to just a little bit of candy bribery.