The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

“Now and Then”: The Beatles’ last song

On November 2, 2023, the Beatles released their highly anticipated new song “Now and Then.” As someone who grew up on the Beatles, I never expected they would release another song in my lifetime, especially after breaking up over 50 years ago.  

After John Lennon’s passing, Yoko Ono provided Paul McCartney with demo tapes of unreleased songs Lennon had written. With these tapes, the Beatles reunited in the 90s and released two songs in The Beatles Anthology: “Free As A Bird” and “Real Love.” Although the Beatles pioneered various recording technologies, Harrison opposed finishing “Now and Then,” calling the recording quality “rubbish.” Harrison wasn’t wrong – Lennon’s vocals and background piano were inseparable because of the recording device he used. 

While Harrison abandoned “Now And Then,” McCartney remained determined to pursue it. Over 20 years later, McCartney finally got his chance. In 2021, Peter Jackson’s documentary “The Beatles: Get Back” took advantage of AI to separate voices from conversations and fix muffled audio. Realizing that this could extract Lennon’s voice from his demo, McCartney and Ringo Starr went to work on the song. 

The Beatles collaborated with Giles Martin for “Now and Then,” who, following in the footsteps of his father, George Martin, took on the role of their producer. Lennon’s original meaning behind the lyrics is unknown; however, Martin speculates that the song is about how much Lennon cared about McCartney. Regardless if McCartney believes this, he has put immense effort into honoring Lennon’s legacy. The music itself is in a minor key, creating a haunting sense of longing. Splices from previous songs like “Eleanor Rigby” and “Because” were also included, adding another layer of sentimentality.

Listening to the song, I couldn’t help but notice how Lennon’s voice seemed somewhat artificial. I assume this is caused by the restoration of the old recording. Still, it is a stark reminder that despite including his voice in the song, neither Lennon nor Harrison are alive, meaning the Beatles will never be together as the “Fab Four” again. The poignant lines “Now and then, I miss you,” in which McCartney sings a duet with Lennon, serve as a testament to their enduring friendship, even though Lennon has passed. 

Many critics argue that “Now and Then” isn’t the Beatles’ most impressive song, and they are right. It’s not. But, that’s okay. Many people’s memory of the Beatles is tarnished by their breakup, but this song provides a sense of closure. “Now and Then” is an echo of the past, both literally and figuratively. It is the bittersweet final reunion of the most influential band in the world and allows people to reconnect with the Beatles one more time.

View Comments (1)