The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Just Go With It, a movie to remember

The movie Just Go With It is a romantic comedy that is definitely a must-watch. The two main characters in the film are Daniel Macabee (Adam Sandler) and Katherine Murphy (Jennifer Aniston). Daniel is a plastic surgeon and Katherine is his assistant/receptionist. Whenever Adam Sander and Jennifer Aniston duo in a movie together, you know it’s going to be a good one. The movie has a perfect balance of comedy, romance, originality, and is a feel-good movie. I have watched this movie well over 50 times and have never gotten tired of it. It’s one of those movies that you watch whenever you need a pick-me-up and a good laugh. 

The movie is directed by Dennis Dugan, the director of numerous fan favorites like Grown Ups and Happy Gilmore. In the movie, Daniel Macabee wears a fake wedding ring to avoid any long-term relationships. When he meets 23-year-old school teacher Palmer, he realizes that he wants to be with her. Eventually, she finds his ring and he is forced to come up with a lie. He tells her that he is married but is getting divorced, so of course she wants to meet this so-called wife. Daniel convinces his assistant, Katherine, a divorced mother of two to pose as his wife. After they meet, Katherine accidentally reveals that she has two kids. Now Daniel is forced to lie about having kids with Katherine. Palmer, Katherine, Daniel, the two kids, and Daniel’s cousin Eddie Hall take a trip to Hawaii. On the trip, they do many bonding activities and it is revealed that Daniel and Katherine have romantic chemistry between them. Then a conflict arises: Palmer tells Daniel she wants to get married, and Daniel has no choice but to ‘just go with it.’ At the end of the trip, Daniel and Katherine realize they have feelings for each other just hours before Daniel is supposed to get married to Palmer. Thankfully, Daniel doesn’t get married to Palmer but instead confesses his feelings to Katherine. Katherine and Daniel end up getting married at the end of the movie.

The movie is extremely funny with very likable and hilarious characters. The movie will no doubt make you smile while watching it. It’s heartwarming, romantic, and very funny. It has all the traits that a good movie should have. It also contains beautiful scenery of Hawaii where the plot takes place, making you want to also take a tropical vacation yourself.

The movie has many different storylines going on between the characters which makes the movie even more funny and entertaining. Katherine is not a fan of Daniel’s cousin Eddie because of his out-of-pocket comments. They have many small humorous fights throughout the movie. Another thing that happens in the movie is when Palmer believes that Danny doesn’t spend enough time with his kids when in reality she has no clue they’re not really his. This leads to Danny having to prove to Palmer that he does spend time with them. He takes them golfing, which they were not a fan of and he also teaches the boy Michael how to swim. The characters have excellent character development and the plot is funny and entertaining. The climax of the movie is when the whole fake family and girlfriend Palmer take the trip to Hawaii together after one of the kids blackmails Daniel to take them in exchange for posing as his kid. This inevitably creates chaos and even more lying along the way.

Another subplot that is happening in the movie is the rivalry between the two frenemies Katherine and Devlin Adams. Devlin was Katherine’s arch-nemesis in college. Coincidentally, Katherine and Devlin are at the same resort at the same time in Hawaii. They meet up and Katherine creates even more lying by telling her that Danny is her husband. She does this because she is ashamed to tell her that she is divorced with two kids. They go to dinner together where they compete in a hula girl dance where Katherine ends up winning. This rivalry between the two characters was very funny. They had many comical interactions that you just can’t help but laugh at because of how stupid it is. In the end, when they confessed everything and became genuine friends it made me a little emotional. It was a very wholesome and whole-hearted moment that showed that friendships should be honest. The rivalry between Katherine and Devlin goes on for almost the entire movie. When they drink together and reveal everything at the end, Devlin reveals that she isn’t actually married to her so-called husband and that he didn’t invent the iPod like she said he did. He actually ended up being gay. Katherine reveals that she isn’t married to Danny and that she is actually divorced with two kids. They realize how stupid their rivalry was and that they should have done the whole truth-telling thing sooner.

The movie was very well made and had an amazing subplot and main plot. It is one of my all-time favorites and is a go-to whenever I have nothing new to watch. Whenever I’m feeling down I always turn to this movie to make me feel better because I know that I’m going to get a good laugh out of it. The movie also made me emotional at some times because of the wholesome moments that it had. The movie has a perfect balance of comedy and romance that went perfectly well together. Something that is revealed about the main character Danny is that he has a kind heart. Yes, he did do a lot of lying but in the end, he owns up to everything. His actions and his love for Katherine and her kids show that he is a kind-hearted person who will do anything for the people that he loves. The audience also learns that you should always trust your instincts. Danny could have just married Palmer but he followed his heart instead. This shows that you shouldn’t ever do anything that doesn’t feel right and that you should always follow your heart. The movie was a bit of a letdown when it’s revealed that Danny is going to get married to Palmer. This is a letdown because the romance between Danny and Katherine is already so developed and it’s obvious that they’re perfect for each other. Thankfully, this is resolved when he doesn’t follow through with it and instead confesses his feelings to Katherine. At the end of the movie Daniel and Katherine end up getting married and starting their life together as a family. To conclude, Just Go With It is an incredible film, so grab your friends and family, get some popcorn, and watch it as soon as possible.

View Comments (2)