The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

A glimpse into the lives of the elites: Gossip Girl

The hit show Gossip Girl debuted on live television from 2007-2013. The American teen drama television series sends shock waves globally, giving everyone a view into the lives of the elite Upper East siders of New York City. The immense wealth gives them the luxury to live the most prestigious lives, but at what cost? After years of toxicity in their relationship, Chuck and Blair are finally the happiest they have ever been. In this episode, Blair and Chuck are forced to marry after the alarming death of Bart Bass, Chuck’s father. Accompanied by their closest friends, Serena, Nate, and Dan, and family, they plan a wedding. In faithful Chuck and Blair style, they have a limited time for their wedding because the police are on their way. This episode is the best in the show because it resolves all the invisible strings tying everyone together. Now, they can finally grow up and start the next chapter of their lives. 

The series finale, “New York, I Love You, XOXO”, is the perfect ending to the era that was Gossip Girl. The show was developed for television by Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. After Blair and Chuck end up on the roof at Bart’s event to receive an award, they find Bart. Chuck and Bart are fist-fighting and tackling one another, and Bart is about to push Chuck off the ledge. Luckily, Chuck gets away, and the positions swap. In self-defense, Chuck watches him fall off of the building. His death is sudden and unexpected, yet he is finally given what he deserves. Blair and Chuck quickly escape and hide behind a town car limo. Forced to hide out in a hotel somewhere in New York, they devise yet another scheme. Chuck’s evil uncle, Jack Bass, helps them realize that marrying is the only way to avoid being blamed for Bart’s death. To aid them in this endeavor, each of their friends is assigned a specific task to prepare for the wedding. After their tasks, they meet in Central Park under the stairs to tie the blissful knot. 

I love that Blair and Chuck get forced into getting married after Bart’s ‘accidental’ death. This abrupt wedding is so them since they are always scheming and plotting. There is no one better to get married under these circumstances. Their love story was about how Blair fell first, but eventually, Chuck fell harder; he got rammed by the truck of love. I like that Dan and Serena are falling for each other again. However, notice how I didn’t say love – Serena and Nate will always have strong chemistry and a loving relationship. I believe that she and Dan are the ones for each other, but a piece of her heart will always beat for Nate. Gossip Girl fans know she made the right choice, yet we would have loved to see “Serenate” in another world.

Throughout this episode, the audience gets introduced to the new girls of Constance, the high school they all attended. They show the younger versions of the two best friends, Serena and Blair, who will become the next generation of drama. After everything gets resolved, they show a cameo of a boy with a satchel; he will be the young Dan Humphrey. He walks down a street with town cars and rich Constance children. Young Blair, Serena, Chuck, and Nate are shown as well. It is refreshing to see they are creating and alluding to the next version of the Gossip Girl we all love. When all of the friends meet at the Met to discuss their roles for the wedding, the new, younger Serena and Blair give a tip to the police as to where the wedding will be. This is why the wedding vows and ceremony are so rushed. When Blair and Chuck first say they love each other, they do it traditionally. They say “3 words, 8 letters” and repeat it to one another. The show’s climax is when they say their vows, and Chuck says, “Eight letters, three words,” and Blair says, “Three letters, one word, yes,” and they kiss because they are now officially married. I love how they made a nod to this tender moment.

Serena and Dan have 12 hours alone to talk about their love for one another. In this time, they rekindle their flame, and Dan explains his stories about the Upper East Side. Because of their talk, Dan finds the internal strength to come clean finally: he is  Gossip Girl. After Blair and Chuck are free, they are all in Blair’s living room discussing that previous period of their lives and the fond memories of Gossip Girl. Throughout the whole show, I love Chuck and Blair’s relationship. While it may be a little toxic, it is always pulling us in and leaving us wanting more. They have an intense love for one another that sometimes gets in the way. They go on many emotional roller coasters, yet when they are cute together, it pulls at our heartstrings.

At the show’s end, there is a flashforward to five years later. It starts with Nate Archibald coming out of his NY Spectator jet as the big boss. Then, it cuts to Dan and Serena’s lovely wedding, where all their friends and family are there. Chuck and Blair are happily married and have a young boy named Henry. Lily, Serena’s mother, ends up with William, Serena’s dad, after many different men. And Rufus, Lily’s greatest love, is with a new writer. All are gathered to watch the ceremonial wedding of Dan and Serena. 

It is the perfect ending for the series Gossip Girl. It is refreshing after all of the ups and downs that occur. The episode reveals the love that they all share for one another despite all that happens in their high school and college life. It shows that the copious amounts they have let them live lives of luxury may be too immature to be used wisely. The ending was the most perfect Gossip Girl ending the show can have. It is perfect – there is immense wealth, chaos, romance, and many schemes. The Gossip Girl series gives us a glimpse into the lives of the wealthy elite that we all aspire to be.