The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Running Through the Hurdles of Life: Meet Mr. J

Marcus Walters

For students in this affluent community, it’s hard to imagine having a precarious childhood; not knowing where to get your next meal and where to sleep the next night is unimaginable for most children. But, Jonathan Walters rose above these challenges and climbed up from the bottom to be an English teacher at one of the best school districts in California.  

Walters is one of the 11 million children born into poverty yearly. He grew up in Riverside County, California, but moved around a lot. Due to this, Walters never had stability, and he had trouble making friends. He graduated high school and got into college with pure faith, favor, determination, and grit. However, he struggled to find his passion at the beginning of college. Once he did, he was unstoppable. Walters graduated in the top 3% of his department at California State University, Stanislaus.  

There are moments in our lives that we look back on and realize how they shaped our future. For Walters, this was one of those moments. Walking 2.2 miles, riding a three-hour bus, and then walking again for 45 minutes to and from school daily would be challenging. After taking this route during his senior year in high school, he opened his eyes to the possibilities he could achieve. 

“[His] journey to school made [him] realize there is nothing [he] can’t do,” said Walters.

Because of this challenge, Walters can now overcome any obstacle in his life. He uses the mental strength that he has acquired to excel at his job. On a daily basis, he aids his students to be the best version of themselves through various teaching methods. 

His teachers have always been there for him during his education when no one else was. Going into college, everything was new for him, and he knew no one. He had no support system, yet he rose to the occasion and eventually adapted to his new environment. 

College, a higher institution of learning, is where students develop into the person they have strived to become. Walters struggled with his confidence going into college, even though “[He] got on the dean’s list eight times in a row, and [he] was still not convinced that [he] will make it through college.” Walters used the school as his “escape,” allowing his primary focus to be on school. He used the hurdles he was facing as fuel to continue his education. Walters often wondered why he spent all of this time at school and how it would be useful. He was going into college unaware of what he wanted to major in, feeling a sense of confusion. 

“[His] ideal classroom, [he] have never gotten to see for [himself],” said Walters.

He knew he wanted to inspire the youth and provide them with the ideal classroom he never got to experience for himself. This inspired Walters to choose his major of English; with writing being his strongest suit, Walters wanted to grow and improve. After not knowing how to write an essay at the beginning of college, to essay writing becoming his strong suit, he displayed much improvement. He knew he would one day be able to provide a safe classroom environment for his future students. 

Despite Walters’ challenging beginning, he jumped over the hurdles that life threw at him and continues to do this today. 

Walters has big plans for the future. He plans to attend USC to achieve his doctorate in education. It will be challenging; however, with the mental strength he has learned, he can do anything. According to Walters, “Where I start is not where I finish,” and you better believe it!