Student Senate votes to change graduation robe policy

Laguna Beach Unified School District

Graduates from the class of 2020 don their maroon and white robes.

Abigail Roedersheimer, News Editor

Earlier this year, Laguna Beach High School’s Associated Student Body (ASB) looked at switching graduation robe colors from the traditional maroon for male students and white for female students. 

“Non-binary people or people figuring out their gender identity should be able to choose.” said senior Mara Williams.

In an effort to be more inclusive, the topic was brought to the Student Senate. At a meeting, a mock-up for a singular robe was presented. Representatives discussed what they thought of the design, and suggested ideas of how to be more inclusive while still keeping the original maroon and white robes. 

Another reason for the proposition was to make the graduating class appear more unified by appearing in the same color, as many schools have. Ultimately, the Senate decided (60-1) on leaving it up to the students to pick which color they wanted, while maintaining the traditional maroon and white. 

“What we talked about wasn’t final,” said ASB Vice President Hannah Williams.“It was more of the administration looking for opinions,”

While graduates have always had the option to ask for a different color, the Senate proposes that all Class of 2023 students can select which color to wear.

“I believe that’s effective since everybody was asking to choose their own colors in previous years,” said senior Sai Machiraju.