Peer Mentors Feature: Mila Rafaty, Class of 2024

Tatum Brennan, Health Editor

Mila Rafaty (Activities Specialist), Class of 2024

How did you first get involved with the Peer Mentor Program? 

During my freshman year, I discovered the Peer Mentor pilot program and was immediately drawn to the ideas expressed by it. I was lucky enough to be granted the position Actitivies Specialist. Creating a positive environment centered on empathy and kindness on Laguna Beach High School’s campus is really important to me, and I believe I could contribute to this as a Peer Mentor. 

What is your favorite aspect of your position?

My favorite part of being the Activities Coordinator is the creative liberty I am granted. I am able to develop a plethora of events that I think would not only be enjoyable for the student body but also benefit their overall wellness. Additionally, I have the opportunity to collaborate with the Communications Specialist Lila Golden, and the entire Peer Mentor Program. I love contributing and exchanging ideas and learning from others. This position puts me in the perfect place to do so.

When you graduate from LBHS, what impact would you like to leave on the program/school? 

I cherish the notion of bettering the experience of any number of students through my involvement with the Peer Mentor program. I hope that the Peer Mentor Program continues to grow and thrive because I truly believe in its capacity to create a safe space and support LBHS students. 

All at LBHS wish to thank Mila and the rest of the Peer Mentoring team for balancing their schoolwork, extracurriculars and leadership demands. They have been pivotal to the success of our school’s peer mentoring work.