Class of 2020: Spectacular Seniors!

Claire Wittkop, Editor-in-Chief

Luka Salib 

• Performed in twelve drama productions, four dance productions, six choral productions, two school sponsored concerts, and two drumline competitions at LBHS
  • Founding member of the LBHS Thespian troupe
  • Enrolled in art since freshman year; enrolled AP art junior and senior year
  • Displayed six artworks in a local gallery for two months
  • Recipient of Moth Macy and National youth arts awards as well as two LBHS Artist of the Month awards for achievements in theatre
  • Played water polo freshman through junior year, and prior to high school since age nine 
  • Swam on LBHS swim team freshman and sophomore year
  • Official school mascot (Breaker Bob) junior and senior year
  • Certified Scuba diver since age ten

“I‘ve seen Luka grow a great deal over these four years. In the fall, Luka mentioned that a freshman student reminded him of himself at that age. He said he had become mindful of his own behavior around the student, because he wanted to provide an example of appropriate behavior. This, to me, bespeaks Luka’s talents as a strong, reflective, and compassionate leader.  Not to mention his creative spirit and lovely sense of humor, which make him a pleasure to be around. Luka is someone I’m truly grateful to know,” said drama teacher Alexis Karol.  

Anthony Ramirez

• Won 2020 Laguna Youth of the Year Award from Boys and Girls Club
  • Won 2020 Every Student Succeeds Award
  • Won distinguished dancer of the year award
  • Member of LBHS’s Kpop Club senior year
  • Participated in 5 dance productions
  • Beat Cancer at age 16
  • Got accepted in Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising at age 16
  • First person in his family to go to a private college

“I have known Anthony since he was a sophomore, and to say that he is spectacular is an understatement.  His writing was beautiful and otherworldly then, and he continues to amaze me with the pieces he has constructed throughout the year and to this day.  In addition to that gift, Anthony has taught me and continues to teach me about courage in the face of chaos, poise in pandemonium, and hope in hardship.  I truly believe Anthony is a gift to the planet, and I have learned more from him than he can ever say he learned from me.  It has been an honor to be his teacher–truly–and I am thankful I was somehow deemed sufficient enough to be in his presence,” said English teacher Dawn Hunnicutt. 

Logan Leeds

• Has been writing a book for more than 6 years; (between all scrapped versions and rewrites) the book has had more than 900 pages, and now has 300 at it’s 4th version. He wrote his third version over 100 times…
  • Had three works of his that were published when he won high places in poetry competitions, one of which was published in an anthology for the professional poets of Laguna.
  • An eagle scout and went all the way through the scouting program, starting from cub scout.
  • Worked as a prep cook for Ben’s Pantry at the Ranch before Covid-19
  • Likes to hula hoop, and for some reason is very good at it.
  • Was the president and co-founder of the Creative Writing Club.
  • Has a LOT of hobbies including  writing, reading, hiking, drawing, gaming, gardening, cooking, researching mythology and adaptations and evolving and folklore, not to mention his love for sleeping, living, and existing. 
  • Was part of the theater crowd for a year or two, but decided to move away from it and use that time to take a culinary class and a jazz band class

When he becomes a professional writer, he has to invite me to his first book signing,” said Spanish teacher Jim Garvey.

Avalon Brice

• 6 APs and multiple honors classes
  • On the Track and Field team for 3 years 
  • Received the California Seal of Biliteracy. Thanks Señor Garvey and Señora Garcia!
  • Model United Nations all four years of high school
  • Social Media Manager at KX FM Laguna’s Local Radio Station
  • Favorite classes: Model United Nations and Spanish
  • “Just remember grades are not everything, high school is about balancing having fun and doing your best!”
  • Will be attending Scripps College in the fall as a Politics major!

“Avalon will be missed tremendously by myself, Mr. Shen and our Model United Nations’ class. In her four years in the program she has worked tirelessly and come up with many ideas and innovations that have made our program significantly better. Thank you Avalon for all your hard work. Like your likeness on the school mural, you will be missed but never forgotten,” said American Government teacher Jonathan Todd.

Grace Houlahan

• Four year varsity water polo player and swimmer
  • Three time Division 1 CIF Champion and three time State champion
  • Volunteered on a congressional campaign at St. Joseph’s Mission Hospital and Remember and Give
  • Co-founded Helping Hands, a group of high school seniors that assisted the elderly during the Coronavirus
  • Took three years of ceramics and participated in various art competitions throughout high school
  • Spends most of her time at the beach, reading, or eating Gen Kai.
  • Attending Princeton University and will be on the medical track

“I dearly love the Houlahans and if I could adopt Grace as my own child I would.  She lights up the classroom with her infectious positive personality whenever we are lucky enough to be graced with her presence,” said ceramics teacher Somer Selway. 

Catherine Keyser

• 4.63 Acad. GPA, 10 APs, 6 Honors, SAT: 1570, ACT: 36
  • 970 hours community service (Laguna Beach Mission Hospital, Pageant of the Masters)
  • LBHS Drum Major 2020, Drumline Captain 2018-2020, President of Medical Careers Club
  • 4 years in Wind Ensemble, Marching Band, and Drumline
  •  Pianist for 10 years, passed MTAC Certificate of Merit Level 10
  • Favorite hobbies: sketching, painting, reading, jigsaw puzzles, sewing, baking
  • Planning to attend UCLA for pre-med, majoring in Biochemistry

“Catherine has been an outstanding member of the music program for 4 years.  She has earned her way to be the section leader of the percussion section and also the drum major this year.  She has been an outstanding leader and musician and is an all-around great student,” said band teacher Jeremy Chung. 

Kyle Herkins

• 12 AP & 7 Honors classes
  • National Merit Finalist
  • Eagle Scout w/ 138 merit badges/23 palms, Order of The Arrow, Nova & Supernova Awards, National Youth Leadership Program Staff Member
  • 4 Yrs Varsity Tennis, League Champion, Varsity Letter, CIF, MVP Varsity Doubles, OC Scholar Athlete
  • Math Team Captain
  • 3 years Juntos Volunteer
  • Destination Imagination STEAM Team: Regional, State, Global Finals
  • Band Member: Plays bassoon, piano, trombone, bugle
  • US Presidential Volunteer Medal and Award
  • Summer Internship Epson America PC Support Jr. Year
  • Loves video games, tennis, reading, music, traveling, fishing, & helping others.
  • Attending Texas A&M Craig & Galen Brown Engineering Honors Program

Kyle always had a keen way of thinking outside the box and sharing his insights with his classmates,” said calculus teacher Valorie Quigley. 

Morgan Falkowski

• 4.2 GPA, took 6 AP and 4 honors classes
  • 3 years varsity track, 2 years Varsity Cross Country
  • Contributed to the fastest LBHS team times for 3 mile and 5k courses
  • 2020 OCADO Student-Athlete of Character
  • 2020 LBHS Athlete Of The Year
  • 2020 LBHS Artist Of The Year
  • Completed CTE pathway
  • Was fifth at CIF finals
  • Attending UC Santa Barbara and is majoring in Mathematical Sciences

“Morgan was one of the most well rounded students and people I have ever met. She will be successful in any of her future endeavors,” said multimedia production teacher Scott Wittkop.

Charlie Besso 

• Has a 4.22 weighted academic GPA
  • CEO of art and not wearing shirts
  • Has been in 6 plays and a lead in 4.
  • Has taken honors art sophomore year and AP Art the last two years. 
  • Made shirts with his artwork about the climate crisis on them. 
  • Walmart Antoni
  • Likes painting and making friends with people
  • *carries canvas around campus*

“He has a unique and creative mind. He is kind and articulate. He has the ability to put his head in the clouds and then at once come right back to logic. He always is the last one to hang on during my Zoom meetings and then we have a personal ongoing comedy bit. I like that his mom always makes guest appearances in his Flipgrid posts. Charlie is one of a kind and is gifted in many, many ways,” said English teacher David Brobeck.