Seniors say a final goodbye at the Candle Rose Ceremony

Yuika Yoshida, Opinions Editor

As the year is coming to a close, graduation is approaching fast for the seniors. Over the past four years, the class of 2019 has been preparing to embark on their new journeys and finally start their futures. Along with looking forward to the beginning of a new chapter, the graduates are also faced with the bittersweet task of saying many goodbyes. The annual Candle Rose Ceremony, to be held this Friday, June 14 at 6:30 p.m., unites the graduating class under the roof of the Artists Theatre one last time.

“I love our class! We’ve developed a really strong bond over the years, and I know everyone is going off to do amazing things. I’m going to miss the chance to see my classmates every day at school,” said senior ASB president Cal Nielson.

There are many traditions the seniors take part in towards the end of the year to make their last year memorable. The most timeless ones probably include the senior trip to Knott’s Berry Farm, as well as the customary throwing of papers on the last day of school. An especially emotional tradition among these, however, is the Candle Rose ceremony. Candle Rose has been a part of LBHS for over 20 years now.

“Candle Rose is always a special night. A lot of kids come out of the woodwork and do some amazing performances. It’s a great chance for the seniors to share a fun, meaningful night together before graduation,” said Nielson.

The concert derives its unique name from the yearly tradition where the current ASB president hands a candle to the incoming ASB president, and in return, the new ASB president hands the outgoing president a rose. The symbolic exchange embodies the idea that the graduating class is passing the torch and imparting their wisdom to the rising seniors.

“Receiving the candle from Cal is such an honor because he’s probably one of my biggest mentors. Not only as ASB president, but as a friend. Being able to walk in his footsteps and become ASB president behind him is super exciting. Next year’s going to be amazing. I’m so excited for all the amazing opportunities we’re going to have and all the things we’re going to do. It’s a really special moment, and it means a lot to me. So thank you, Cal,” said incoming ASB president junior Luke Gold-Sine.

This year’s Candle Rose will feature a variety of performances at the free event ranging from reciting poetry, singing a song, dancing, and anything else that’s meaningful to the senior class. On this night seniors have the rare opportunity to showcase their talents.

“I think it’s a great way for the seniors to come together for one last show at the Artists Theatre. I’ve personally participated in about 10 shows ranging from the Shap Show to the Brush and Palette Benefit Concert, and now I’m excited to do this last one,” said senior Addie Briggs.

The event is open to all grades, so be sure to come Friday night and bid a final farewell to the graduating class of 2019.

“Appreciate high school for what it is. It’s easy to tune out or have one foot out the door the whole year, but this really is a great time of your life—enjoy it!” said Nielson.