Just get over yourself

Maddox de Bretteville, Sports Editor

Hello Brush and Palette readers! While looking over old archives of our school newspapers, we found an interesting article that we have decided to post below. It’s from the May 12 release of Brush and Palette from 2010. The articles is written by Sports Editor Gery Artman. This article is interesting because Will Clark wrote an article a few years ago on a similar topic, it is also relevant today! Have fun reading!

Students spend money mother freely, but where does their money come from? In some cases, students have jobs; other students receive money from their families. Have you ever heard someone complain: “ugh, I wish I had more money?” Well, get a job.

Even when students get jobs, they either don’t keep the job for a long time because they get “bored” or feel they don’t get paid enough for the work. First of all, if you desire something, you have to work for it. In life, not everything is fun or easy. Students shouldn’t be worried about how much money they get paid. Money is only important when you have to pay for everything: a place to live, food, gas, car insurance, health insurance and other life needs and wants.

“After one and a half years working for Quiksilver, I can tell that employees are over their job when they become complacent and lazy,” said 24-year-old Quiksilver supervisor, Adam Williams.

It is important that students hold their jobs because it looks good when they are trying to get a better job or for college applications. It displays commitment.

“The longer you work the greater the benefits will be. I’ve had pay raises and now I have more responsibilities than when I was hired. I also have a better chance for being hired at future jobs because the longevity boosts my resume,” said lifeguard and swim instructor, senior Tierney Doran.

Of course working during the school year can be tough because of extra-curricular activities including sports, theatre, chorus, band, etc., but that doesn’t mean that students can’t stay in touch with their bosses. Email your employer when there is a school break that you can work during, or contact your old place of employment one to three months before summer so the employer can put you back on the schedule. This way, you are keeping your job.

When students hold their positions at a store or restaurant, it reveals their ability to commit. Adults realize that the job may be “boring,” but it is impressive if a student can hold the job for longer than one summer.