How does social media affect the lives of teenagers?

Haven Thacker, Reporter

Social media in this generation can be a blessing and a curse for all ages. Many lives are affected everyday by the influences of apps such as Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, Facebook, etc. This issue is mainly targeted towards young girls who feel that they aren’t good enough or need to be what society expects of them.

I am sure we have all found ourselves being compared to others at one point or another while scrolling through people’s posts. You may have thought things such as, “That person is so much better looking than me”, “Their life is so much more fun than mine”, or “Why wasn’t I invited?”. These are just a few of the many thoughts that stream through people’s heads everyday. In this day and age, their is a constant comparison and competition between the teenagers of this generation. Although nobody is perfect, the false reality that is displayed on social media says other wise. People only post their best moments and pictures where they look their best. When one sees these posts, most of the time it leads to their self-esteem lowering or feelings of not being good enough.

Luckily, there are also many positives to social media. You can use the many available apps to communicate with friends and family. It is also a good place to catch up on what’s going on in people’s lives and to stay in touch with others. Many schools and organizations use it to their benefit to inform students or members of upcoming events.

Overall, there are pros and cons to the subject of social media and teens should be educated on how it affects their lives.