Think twice before your next energy drink

Austin Plank, Photographer

Within the last couple of years, the popularity of energy drinks has skyrocketed. Although companies advertise them as a healthy source of liveliness for one’s body, energy drinks have huge consequences if heavily consumed within a short amount of time, such as caffeine overdose and heart problems. Additionally, over time the drinks can contribute to type 2 diabetes and poor dental health.

“Energy drinks are very harmful to the individual that consumes them, especially for the use of sports, because when we have those energy drinks, they increase our heart rate tremendously, and when you use them in order to prepare for a sports game or training, you double what your heart is supposed to be doing during exercise. So someone that has a known heart condition, or even an unknown heart condition, can cause abnormal rhythms for their heart,” said athletic trainer Tim Crilly.

Crilly has been the athletic trainer here at LBHS for four years has helped treat heart-related emergencies and educate student-athletes about maintaining proper health.  

“When an individual goes into full arrest, the heart can go into an abnormal rhythm where it is not pumping blood efficiently, and so they are not getting blood to the rest of their body, and essentially their heart stops beating,” said Crilly.

Although energy drinks are not always the cause for cardiac emergencies, Crilly has thoroughly researched their adverse effects on the body.

Freshman Landon MacKnight has been drinking energy drinks somewhat regularly for the last three months in order to work out after school for football and acknowledges that he is not fully aware of the health consequences.

“I consume energy drinks for pre-workout energy because after a long day of school, I need an extra boost of energy, and I believe that they give me that extra push,” said MacKnight.

After learning what the athletic trainer shared about drinking energy drinks for pre-training or pregame activities, MacKnight indicated he was shocked to hear the effects and what they can do to one’s heart.

“After hearing Crilly’s facts, I plan on eliminating all high-caffeine energy drinks and plan on using sports drinks like Gatorade, Powerade, etc. in order to gain another source of energy before games and training,” said MacKnight.