Brush and Palette

World War II Club

(Austin Plank)

(Austin Plank)

Henri Schwarz, Reporter

Ten years ago, English teacher Mr. Sean Mehegan decided to start the World War II Club. His father’s experience as a bombardier in WWII triggered the idea. Mehegan’s father was shot down and spent a year in a German prisoner-of-war camp.

“I decided that his experience and any experience of WWII veterans should be kept alive among current generations,” said Mehegan.

The club is student-oriented and designed for kids who have an interest in learning more about WWII. The topics discussed and how time is spent during each meeting depends on each year’s students and what they are interested in.

“We enjoy watching movies, having discussions and planning student presentations,” said club participant Austin Newburry, who enjoys sharing his ideas and spreading his knowledge during club time.  

Mehegan points out that students should join the due to the profound historical significance of the war.

“WWII was the most destructive conflict in human history. It shaped the world and continues to shape the world to this day and is still relevant among political leaders who make political decisions,” said Mehegan.

The most valuable thing students can take away from being involved in the club depends on each individual student, but a lesson of humility is usually learned by all.

“I suppose for most high school kids, they’ll take away a greater awareness of the sacrifice that our troops made so that we could all be here and enjoy a nice school like Laguna and a nice community like Laguna,” said Mehegan.

The club meets every Thursday during lunch in Mr. Mehegan’s room (54).  Currently there are 8-10 students involved, but more are welcome.

“If you are a historically minded person and enjoy learning about history a lot, this club will be great for you,” said Newburry.