Sex Education at LBHS

Mila Kellam, Opinions Editor

In most states, sex education is supported and even encouraged in schools. According to Planned Parenthood, “93 percent of parents supported having sex education taught in middle school, and 96 percent of parents supported having sex education taught in high school.”
All states are involved in some sexual education, yet each differs in the extent. Sex ed is split into two categories: abstinence and comprehensive. It is more prevalent to teach abstinence in religious and private schools. Comprehensive sex ed is taught in most public schools around the country. Comprehensive education teaches students that the only way to avoid STIs is by abstinence, yet it teaches about the use of contraceptives.
Here at LBHS, sex education is critical. According to the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention, over 40% of students are or will become sexually active during high school. It is essential for students to know how to protect themselves from the extremely prevalent spread of sexually transmitted diseases. Students are also taught about the dangers of unwanted pregnancy, sexting, sexual assault and sexual harassment.
“This is my first year teaching health in a long time, but I am so grateful to have the opportunity. It is my favorite class because the students are very engaged, and you can have discussions that are very important to the students. I encourage them to ask questions and to share experiences,” said health teacher Michelle Foster.
The teaching of sex education shows students that there are many ways to stay safe when or if they are ever sexually active. Sexually transmitted diseases have skyrocketed in the past few years.
“The students have responded positively,” said Foster. “The class is not stressful, and I want to keep it that way. I am not trying to have the students memorize a bunch of facts or make them take huge tests. I simply am teaching them life lessons that I want them to embrace.”
Without the teaching of sex education, students would be uneducated about the severity of diseases, unwanted pregnancy and how to get help. Ms. Foster wants her students to realize the responsibilities that come with having a sexual relationship.
“We always encourage abstinence as the only 100% way to prevent STDs and pregnancy, but we are also not naive and understand that many teenagers are sexually active so we must ensure they are educated in this area to keep them safe and help them make healthy decisions,” said Foster.
It is better to be more reliable than sorry. Without sex education around the United States, a higher percentage of people would have sexually transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancy and most importantly, uncertainty.