Being responsible while driving

Mila Kellam, Opinions Editor

With many of us in high school being able to drive comes a huge amount of responsibility. The majority of us have been guilty of minor speeding. But, speeding 50 miles over the speed limit is irresponsible and scary. Teenagers see a driver’s license as a key to freedom.  Teen drivers have a higher rate of fatal crashes, mainly because of their immaturity, lack of skills, and lack of experience. Car crashes are the No. 1 killer of teens in America, causing far more teen deaths each year than homicide, suicide, cancer, and drugs. Driving safely should not be taken lightly. You are responsible for not only the safety of yourself but everyone on the road. Teen drivers don’t realize or understand that your life can be changed in an instant. One moment your speeding down the road. The next, you have killed or injured innocent drivers. It has been said that 1 in 5 teen drivers involved in fatal crashes had some alcohol in their system. Many teenagers believe that they are completely fine to drive “buzzed.” Wrong. Not only are you risking your license, life, and a DUI, you put other people in jeopardy. It is always much better to call an uber and pay then to put your life on the line. Another way of transportation for teens under the influence is Safe Rides.  Safe Rides is available every Saturday from 10:00 p.m. to 1:15 p.m. The rides are only available to students who are in middle school and high school. They can drive from Salt Creek to Crystal Cove and from the Laguna Audubon into Aliso Viejo. The rides are entirely confidential, so there is no need to worry about consequences. Please remember that jeopardizing our life and getting a DUI is not worth the short car ride. If you are under the age of 21 and caught driving under the influence, there are many consequences that will affect your life.