Teachers know we are human too

Zoe Bowman, Creative Director

Have you ever felt overwhelmed, stressed and depressed? Since you’re in high school, you have probably experienced these situationsbut have you felt like you didn’t have anyone in your corner, or that no one properly understood what you are going through? Well, there is always someone there for you: your teachers.

On multiple occasions, I have had more than five hours of homework in one night with three tests or in-class essays the next day. I have gone into class having a mental breakdown inside but smiling on the outside because I never thought I could talk to my teachers about these problems. It wasn’t until last year that I realized that our teachers truly do care.

One day, I walked into my third-period APUSH class about to take a DBQ. The night before I had been studying for a Spanish and math test until about 3 in the morning. I barely got any sleep and had been sick for two whole weeks. The second Mrs. Cowles saw me, I broke down. I started crying about how I was sleep-deprived and stressed and even about other things that weren’t necessarily bothering me. Once I had gotten the last tear out, Mrs. Cowles told me to get my stuff, go to the library and take a nap. She claimed that my mental and physical health were way more important than an essay, which is something I never thought would happen in an AP class, or any class for that matter. Figuring out that teachers don’t just see us as learning machines, and actually know and respect when we have too much to do, has changed my whole opinion on school.

For some classes, I thought it was over for me when I messed up by leaving an assignment incomplete or earning a bad test score. People always say that in high school, the teachers won’t understand and won’t listen to any of your excuses. However, when I became unmotivated and didn’t want to finish things like homework, my teachers would give me the push that I needed. They would let me stay after school to make up assignments. Teachers want you to succeed, no matter how hard it is to believe at times. It’s their job to help us learn, so why wouldn’t they want to help?

It doesn’t just end with the teachers. The week of February 5 was school counselor appreciation week. During this time, I recalled all of the times Mrs. Rosa had helped me with my grades, figuring out my plan for college and guiding me through personal issues, as well. She always encouraged me to do the best I possibly could, even when I was unsure of whether or not I could succeed.  She wasn’t just there to report to me that I was failing a class or communicate that I didn’t have enough credits to graduate. Mrs. Rosa, along with the other counselors, are there to help you get back on track if you do happen to slip up and assist you in figuring out how you can do everything you want to in high school.

Our school is very heavily based on college and career readiness, so to see teachers take the time to help students beyond academics is refreshing. The other day, I observed a teacher walk a kid into Mrs. Gregory’s office to help the student discover ROPs and other extracurricular activities that might suit her. The teacher further explained that the student would be the first in her family to go to college, and he really wanted to see the student thrive. If we took a moment to reflect, we all likely could relate personal observations regarding how much our teachers do for us.

People should never think they cannot go to their teachers when they have issues. Trust me, they will understand. They are here to teach us and to better our educationnobody here is trying to work against you.

However, do not take teachers’ generosity for granted. There is a difference between being lazy and accepting help that you deserve.