Student paddles to success

Ashton Herman, Photographer

Jade Howson is not your average teenage athlete. At only fifteen, Howson competed in the ISA World Stand Up Paddling Championships where she placed first out of four winners. Howson started paddleboarding at the age of eight years old.  She pushed herself to success in competitive stand up paddleboarding and made it clear her success was not parent driven.

“I kinda got myself into it. My dad did outrigger canoe racing, so that influenced me a little,” said Howson.

Even though SUP is not a team sport here at LBHS, Howson’s skill has grabbed the attention of many in the school community.

“I was actually working as a member of the time crew in one of her races and did not learn until later that she attended Laguna Beach High,” said boys cross country coach and Multimedia and Design teacher Scott Wittkop. “First thing I noticed is how much she crushed her race in the junior division, then how highly she placed in the women’s division. Overall, she has really proved how much work she has been putting in and how determined she is.”

According to “SUP World Magazine,” stand up paddleboarding originated in the 1940s and was founded by Duke Kahanamoku—a famous all-around waterman. When Kahanamoku first started, it was just called “beach board surfing,” and the goal was to help people into small waves. However, stand up paddleboarding has really taken off since the 90s and is now a worldwide sport. It has become immensely popular due to the mental and physical outlets it provides.

“Stand up paddleboarding has been the fastest growing water sport in the world. Most people who don’t do it competitively just do it recreationally to have a good time in the ocean. Others seek the more competitive side to it because, when you are competing, you are really testing your limits,” said Howson.

Howson continues to set goals and maximize her growth in the sport.

“There is no personal next level of competition. I compete against adults who do it as an occupation. As for the sport as a whole, I hope to one day reach an Olympic level of competitive racing,” said Howson.  

For those thinking of getting into stand up paddleboarding, Howson suggests they start by getting comfortable in the ocean and then investing in a board and a leash. After renting a board, a new paddleboarder might test the waters at Doheny Beach, located in Dana Point.