LBHS shows its selflessness in the recent food drive

Jamin Schwerner, Reporter

The Laguna Food Pantry gives away nearly 2,000 pounds of food each week to 300 families in need in Laguna Beach, along with the rest of Orange County. Each year, our school partners with them in an effort to support the community.

Every year from Nov. 3 to Nov. 22, our school conducts a canned food drive. Last year, we raised 989 pounds of food. This year, we raised over 1,850 pounds. In addition, the recent drive brought the greatest amount of pounds of food ever raised by a single class. English teacher Hayley McLellan’s fourth period AP Literature class alone acquired over 402 pounds for those in need.

“This is my first year winning,” said McLellan. “I am very proud of my fourth period students for their altruism and willingness to give selflessly.”

Her students, having triumphed, deserved a display of gratitude. As their reward, the students received an ASB-funded lunch during fourth period.

“I would especially like to thank Shad Betar and Matt Ghere,” said McLellan.

These incredibly selfless students took a trip to Costco and purchased 214 pounds of food using money collected from the class.

“We bought 160 pounds of rice and potatoes and 54 pounds of baby food,” said junior Matt Ghere.

Their purchases amounted to a total cost of $58.

“We wanted to give back to the Laguna Beach community,” said Ghere.

As a close-knit community, Laguna Beach citizens need to work together to help victims of circumstance. It should be our school’s goal to raise more than 1,850 pounds during next year’s food drive.