LBHS welcomes new assistant principal

Sasha Kvitsinski, Entertainment Editor

This year, Laguna Beach High School welcomes its new assistant principal, Nikol King. Last year, King served as assistant principal at Thurston Middle School.

“As the assistant principal, I oversee curriculum and instruction,” said King. “I also did some training with Lisa Brackez, and I shadowed Mr. Billinger to make sure I understood what the events would look like and how things are run here,”

After much guidance and an extensive set of skills, King moved from TMS to LBHS, a new step in King’s journey in the school system.

“I’ve had new assistant principals who’ve had to adapt to a whole new school, as well as a new way of doing things; but, her transition has been smooth. She knows so many of the students, and due to her working at TMS, almost all of the ninth grade,” said principal Chris Herzfeld.

Believing that the more you worked the less trouble you’d get in, King was constantly immersed in the arts in her neighborhood — singing, dancing and participating in theater.

“One time, in 11th grade, my teacher allowed me take over the class, and it was my job to tell my peers how to make their skits better. After leading the class for about 45 minutes, I realized I loved every minute of it,” said King. “Later, when I was an adult, after I brought my son to preschool, I decided I wanted to go with him every day. So, I went back to school and started teaching preschool.”

After enrolling at community college, King started taking more teaching courses. After earning her bachelor’s and master’s degrees, King was able to teach grades other than preschool.

“I’ve worked at middle schools, where I’ve taught 6th, 7th and 8th grade reading intervention, 8th grade social studies, and 7th and 8th grade language arts. I was the teaching assistant principal and an assistant principal. Before that, I was a teacher at an elementary school. I taught 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th grade, I was the GATE coordinator, and I was an ASB coordinator,” said King.

King gained a wide range of skills that covered every aspect of working at a school. She has worked with students of all ages, their parents, and a variety of professionals.

“I’m excited to see how she does as the assistant principal, and I’m interested to see if she will bring any change,” said sophomore Taylor Tran.

King made it a priority to get to know the whole school, and she can often be found walking around during break and lunch conversing with students.

“I came to Laguna because of the close-knit community feel. I grew up in a small town, and I appreciate how connected it makes you feel. I believe I’m a part of a team, and if they need me somewhere, I’m there. I don’t just have one job; I go wherever I’m needed,” said King.