New field

New+field

Karly Peterson and Emily Addis

Laguna Beach High School’s turf field, track and baseball facilities are to be renovated in 2016 to fix safety issues and to update worn-down conditions.
“Our construction schedule is tentatively set to begin on May 16, 2016 and end on July 31, 2016. I am fairly confident we will be able to meet this schedule, but just need the weather to cooperate so we don’t have any delays (i.e., rain),” said Jeff Dixon, Director of Facilities.
The project includes replacing our synthetic turf field. The artificial turf hasn’t been replaced for 12 years. Although the field is still safe to play on, it is not in the best condition as it reaches its last days.
“All synthetic fields have a shelf life. They begin to deteriorate from the outdoor conditions. Rain, heat, cold and the wind all have a negative effect on the effectiveness of the turf,” said Athletic Director Ted Clarke.
The school is taking preventative measures by replacing the field.
“By replacing the field prior to its life expectancy coming to a close, we considered safety of the athletes and community paramount to cost,” said Clarke.
As the field reaches the end of its shelf life, loose artificial turf becomes displaced.
“It starts to breakdown. The rubber fill starts to migrate due to water and wind conditions,” said Clarke.
After the reconstruction, Laguna Beach High School’s field will be free of the decomposed rubber. This will make it the newest and safest artificial turf field out of all Orange County high schools.
“Our field will provide the aesthetic appeal that all turf stadiums provide, but we will also have superior safety by using a shock pad and less heat as a result of not using the black rubber crumbs,” said Dixon.
In addition, our school’s football field currently has drainage problems. Even when it sprinkles lightly, the whole field floods, causing all sports events to be canceled or limited.
“The current field lacks drainage along the entirety of both sidelines. In addition, the field’s existing drainage was designed to assume the base (rock underneath the field) was permeable – which it is not,” said Dixon.
The new field will fix the drainage problems and allow sports teams to play and practice in light rain.
“We will correct the drainage by placing more drains and putting in a system that is designed based on the fact the current base does not drain,” said Dixon.
The school is also adding new features to the fields. These features include a three-layer system, as opposed to the two-layer system we have currently; the new system provides a softer cushion on the track and turf for athletes to run on.
“The one now has too much turf and too short of grass, so the turf flicks around and it hurts more when you fall,” said Kramer.
Although the athletes have expressed concern with the current field, all eagerly but patiently await the field’s reconstruction.
“I’m excited for a new field because the one we have is too old and probably has at least 10 years of germs, so a new one is going to be a lot cleaner and nicer,” said Alden Kramer, sophomore track runner and soccer player.
While the field is being redone, a few sports will be relocated for practices.
“Track will likely have one or two off campus practices due to the reconstruction,” said Kramer.
Additionally, the baseball field’s current condition is unsafe to the public. Multiple neighbors have complained about baseballs flying over the fence and damaging cars and houses. As a part of the project, proposals are being designed to fix this problem.
“I’d love to be able to park on Saint Anns without a baseball denting my car,” said junior Jordan Youssef.
Despite the extravagance of the entire project, the school is making sure to be cost effective. “The turf and and track are being purchased based on the California Multiple Award Schedule (CMAS). This is a State bid that requires companies to prove to the State of California that they are offering their product/service at a competitive rate,” said Clarke.
As a result, we will be able to make more improvements to our field because of the reasonable prices that are available.
“When this project is complete, I feel that we are setting the benchmark for all other stadiums in OC,” said Dixon.