The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

“Memoirs” Leaves a Lasting Impression on the Crowd

At the Friday night showing of “Memoirs,” LBHS’ dance concert, the most memorable part of it for me was the 11 teachers who danced on stage for everyone to see. Many teachers, including Ms. Sorensen, Ms. Lundblad, Ms. Merritt, and more, gave LBHS a great performance that blew us all away. Overall, the concert was great featuring students in a variety of dance styles that left everyone feeling starstruck.

Initially, I was skeptical; watching my math teacher dance seemed odd, but it was well worth it. Despite my many doubts, the teachers gave a great show! Being able to recognize some of the beloved teachers at LBHS on stage was interesting and very enjoyable. The crowd was enthusiastic and applauded them as their lives depended on it.

I talked to Ms. Sorensen before the show and to my surprise, all the teachers were bubbling with excitement. They genuinely could not wait to showcase their week’s worth of hard work and lunches given up to practice for this show. Ms. Friedman states: “I would have done it if I could, but the time commitment was huge.” Clearly, it took commitment and grit to make the show happen, which ended up being a great success.

Many other people performed from the senior solos to the Beach Boys. Delaney McCarthy was the star of the show and showed the crowd what she was made of in her solo. It was very enjoyable to watch her amazing technique and mind blowing talent, already in the dance company in her Freshman year! 

The Beach Boys’ comical act was hilarious, to say the least. It was my personal favorite as they did not have a professional background in dance, but worked hard all semester long for this. From their original dance style to their dramatic exit, it was one of the best parts of the show, leaving everyone laughing.

However, some of the dances did not resonate with me as much. In one of the pieces featuring Dance 1, the dance was based on a creepy doll theme that did not pair with the theme “memoirs” at all. 

While “Memoirs” contained great dances, they could have been more cohesive with the theme. For example, I struggled to understand how a creepy doll dance has anything to do with memoirs. Although this particular dance did not flow perfectly with the theme, many dance concerts have vague titles like our very own “Memoirs” which leaves the dancers some wiggle room.

Anyway, overall, the concert was a great experience and a must-attend event for any LBHS student.