The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

A Student-Friendly Court of Law

A Student-Friendly Court of Law

The court of law plays a fundamental role in the government body of the United States of America and countries worldwide. The court holds the power to interpret the law, determine how laws are applied in the real world, and protect individuals’ rights. The legal system establishes order globally and addresses issues that negatively impact people. 

The court of law can protect the rights of individuals globally with principles and legal standards, such as the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of the International Court of Justice (ICJ). Under the United Nations, the ICJ was established to protect and advocate for human rights and justice. The mission of this court is to settle legal disputes between countries when they violate human rights; cases are referred to the court by the United Nations. 

For young adults who aspire to be lawyers and protect universal human rights, hands-on experience in the legal system is exciting. The Constitutional Rights Foundation Orange County is determined to provide hands-on learning opportunities for students. They are a non-profit, non-partisan educational organization in Orange County that empowers youth to be good citizens through participation in an interactive civic and law-related educational program. Currently, over 6,500 youth participate in the program.

To join, students must participate in training and community building. After the training is complete, students become ‘peer jurors’ and participate in the trial and sentencing of local court cases involving youth in their community. Students are directly involved in the sentencing of a juvenile who has been convicted of a crime. They meet with a judge and the juvenile to learn about the crime and make an educated assessment to determine their punishment. This court experience opportunity is a great stepping stone for students inspired to explore their passion for the justice system. This program is a real-life expansion of mock trial classes and provides exposure to actual court cases. 

The Constitutional Rights Foundation Orange County inspires the lawyers of the next generation. This is a perfect experience for students who plan on entering college as a pre-law major and want more experience. Take advantage of this incredible opportunity to protect justice, share your opinion, argue your point, and learn about the legal system at OC Peer Court.