The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Laguna’s Very Own Gelson’s of 8 Years is Closing Down

On Saturday, March 2nd, the Gelson’s grocery store in South Laguna will permanently close its doors. This is due to the fact that the store was non-profitable, according to a spokesperson for Gelson’s giving information to StuNews. Unfortunately, there will not be another store re-opening at any other location in Laguna, so for the Laguna Beach residents who shop there, we must make an everlasting change.

Since I grew up in South Laguna, my family and I have utilized Gelson’s many times over the years; it was perfect as all the citizens in the South needed a close grocery store. The only other grocery stores are Ralphs, Pavilions, and Whole Foods, which are all much further and located downtown. Because of the closing, it will be a considerable alteration ranging from quick last-minute runs for dinner or stocking up food for the upcoming week. Throughout preschool, elementary school, and middle school, I’ve watched the location change from an Albertsons, a Hagens, Albertsons again, and finally Gelson’s. Gelson’s could prove to be the last grocery store in the area, or become another store similar to Pavilions. Unfortunately, we have no recent information about what the building will turn into.

There were many perks of Gelson’s, including the fact that it was very close to many people’s homes, had many parking spaces including a parking garage underneath the store, and was easy to access. However, there were also many cons: it was very expensive causing many people to go to other stores to get their groceries at a lower price instead. Customers diminished slowly but surely which ultimately resulted in the downfall of the store. Due to the closing, between February 26th and March 2nd, the store has granted a 50% discount for all produce. During this last week of work, customers are flocking to the store to take advantage of the low prices.

Taking everything into account, Gelson’s will be missed by many. As it shuts down, the only factor left for the Laguna Beach residents to wonder is: what’s next?