World Music Club broadens the borders of the music regimen at LBHS

Art work by Elly Ruiz
Art work by Elly Ruiz

World Music Club: a club devoted to finding a metaphorical home regarding culture in music. Laguna Beach High School’s World Music Club is in its first year up and running as is smooth sailing across all borders. The overarching message the World Music Club wants to prove is that music’s language and rhythm do not fit within a box. People come from all walks of life and carry experiences with meaning mixed making the club what is now. 

“As we continue to pick up more opportunities to perform, we want to include songs that would be easily recognized by the audience despite being from a foreign culture,” said World Music Club president Chloe Chu. 

The club currently holds more than 25 people involved in the club and around 15 people who actively participate in the performances around the school campus. This phenomenal group of performers is typically spotted at pep rallies alongside K-Pop Club, which consists of similar members such as Amanda Nguyen. The two dance groups are different in the sense that they individually carry different moral codes.

“We dedicate our group meetings toward learning more about each club member’s background and engage with their culture which makes them unique and who they are,” said Chu. This helps to connect our members for better chemistry and overall knowledge of one another. 

The reason many students on campus know the club is due to their appearances at pep rallies and other school-related events. Each club member carries a different skill set in regard to dancing; many members enjoy this aspect while some love the bonding and speaking with other students part. 

“Working with Chloe’s vision makes choreographing so much easier,” said choreographer Amanda Nguyen. She is such a kind-hearted soul who is able to connect with all walks of life. 

World Music Club ensures the inclusivity of all types of levels and wants to promote an overall boost in the conversation surrounding music’s relationship to culture.  

“I do not have much dance experience besides being a part of K-Pop Club and World Music so it is incredible that Chloe allows all levels of experience to get involved,” said World Music member Arianna Cunningham.

As previously mentioned, the primary goal of this outstanding club is to encourage a community filled with culture to emerge in relation to music. Staying open-minded is the glue that holds the members together and expresses other aspects of their lives. All club members are held to the same standard regardless of their background. 

“As a member of the club, I’d like to put out how important it is to join new clubs and meet new people, even if it means pushing yourself out of your comfort zone,” said World Music member Alena Ovechkinda