The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

The 60th anniversary of John F Kennedy’s assassination brings citizens together to mourn

On November 22, 2023, many Americans mourned the loss of former president John F. Kennedy on the 60th anniversary of his assassination. On the morning of November 22, 1963, crowds of excited people filled the streets of Main Street in Dallas, Texas, eager to catch a glimpse of the beautiful and famous Kennedy family. As they turned the corner onto Dealey Plaza, President Kennedy was shot in the neck and pronounced dead by 1:00 PM.

After the assassination, an arrest rapidly became made. Authorities arrested Lee Harvey Oswald just an hour before the brief ceremony, remembering the president. Oswald, a former US Marine, expressed many pro-Soviet and politically radical ideals. Once released from the Marines, he attempted to become a citizen of the Soviet Union but was unsuccessful. After his attempt, Oswald returned to Dallas, Texas. From the 6th-story window of the depository building, he shot three bullets, killing the 35th United States President. 

Two days after Oswald’s accusation of the assassination of JFK, he was shot dead on live television in front of millions. On his way from the Dallas prison to a more secure one, American nightclub owner Jack Ruby emerged from the crowd and killed Oswald with one fatal shot. He has stated that his rage at Kennedy’s murder led him to kill Oswald. Millions of families, couples, and children watched Oswald’s murder on live television, a traumatic experience that forever stayed in their memories.            

On November 25, 1963, President Kennedy laid to rest in Arlington National Cemetery. His funeral modeled after the 16th president, Abraham Lincoln, in various ways. Both share a tragic cause of death: assassination. State representatives from over 100 countries were in attendance to watch this melancholy event. At the same time, millions of morning viewers watched from their televisions at home. Kennedy’s family lit lights to signify his undying spark. The funeral had a significant impact on thousands of Americans. 

To mark the 60th anniversary of the assassination, President Joe Biden gave a speech honoring Kennedy. He reflected on Kennedy’s profound impact on the nation during his presidency. Kennedy’s main goals were commitment to civil rights, voting rights, equal pay for women, and his role in navigating the Cold War. Biden goes on to list Kennedy’s many outstanding attributes and ends with a tribute and blessing to Kennedy.

May we take this moment to acknowledge the impact and importance John F Kennedy had on the United States of America and others. Rest in peace.