The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

How has the media influenced sports and affected young athletes mental health?

Sports have been around since the ages of the ancient Romans but developed to a new level with the help of the media. Newspapers and broadcasts helped the popularity of sports by reaching them to different audiences. Fans were able to keep up with dates of games, scores, and the athletes’ lives. In the early twenty-first century, television channels began showing games so people could watch them from their homes with friends and family rather than spending much money on tickets. Infamously, Bella Rasmussen, an alumnus of LBHS, was the first female in history to score two touchdowns in a high school varsity football game. Without social media, her talent and skills wouldn’t be broadcasted to others and she wouldn’t be granted as many great opportunities. Social media has many effects on the sports industry and the athletes themselves.

Media has created a new wave of sports culture, allowing athletes to connect with their fans more. Fans are typically given insight into the athletes’ lives through commentary, where teams and companies can provide fans with the content they want. Teams could also learn from their opponents and their training styles through social media posts. Fans could also spread information about games and players on their platforms, broadening the popularity of various teams. Sharing quotes and infamous moments from Micheal Jordan, LeBron James, Serena Williams, Usain Bolt, Simone Biles, Muhammad Ali, and other famous athletes increases their fame and wealth. Social media could benefit high school athletes as well. Here are some ways social media can serve as a stepping stone for LBHS athletes:

• College Recruitment: Through short gameplay videos, recruiters and other essential figures can see your skills and potential. 
  • Sponsorship: With enough views and followers, companies and brands can reach out to athletes to promote their ideas and products. Athletes can make a profit from these sponsorships.
  • Self-Confidence and Establishing an Image: An athlete having posts and reels of their skill and performance can define their image in the athletic world and how other athletes/ teams view them. Athletes can also gain more confidence in their performance from a post of a goal shot or blocked or a great assist.

Social media has had many achievements in improving the sports industry; however, there are still many unfortunate effects it has on sports, such as negatively impacting athletes’ mental health and causing fan/team incidents. Everyone, including athletes and non-athletes, should know that social media is full of mean-spirited people who intend to make others miserable. People should continue to post what they are passionate about and ignore those unnecessary comments. Still, some athletes face harsh criticism and hate for their performance. Professional athletes face it worse than high school athletes as they face cruel commentary from fans of opposing teams and envious people.

Another con social media has on young athletes is the exaggerated sports industry they get introduced to. Middle school/ high school athletes see their idols body-shopped, doing challenging workouts/lifting fake weights, and having excessive and reckless behaviors. Professional athletes sometimes body-shop to get a more prominent and muscular figure, making young athletes self-conscious about their bodies as they feel they can’t reach those goals. Sometimes, this idea can even develop into severe cases of body dysmorphia. It is suitable for athletes to strive to lift as heavy and be as fast as their idols, but the real problem lies in fake weights. Some athletes exaggerate the amount of weight they lift. Young athletes think this weight is genuine and begin to ego-lift to reach that. Ego-lifting is attempting to lift more than you can without proper form and it can cause serious injuries. Athletes who play a sport with a more aggressive nature raise their fans by doing reckless things during a game and even just in their regular lives. This can lead to dangerous actions from athletes and fans and can even result in death.

Being a sports fan is fun and many get very passionate about it but it is essential to remember to stay respectful and safe. Some fans do inappropriate and unnecessary actions that affect others and athletes themselves. The best thing all athletes can do to prevent these team issues is not to respond to anything unnecessary; if it is not your fight, don’t fight it, and focus on yourself! LBHS athletes should be on a sports team to improve, showcase skills, have fun, and make new friends! It is important to remember not to get caught up in drama if possible or create unnecessary trouble! Continue to play the best Breakers!