The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

4 healthy habits that you should adopt

New Year is not the only excuse to adopt new habits. It’s always a good time to try and better yourself and improve your lifestyle. There’s always something that can be done to improve our way of life, whether that’s cutting out unhealthy habits or adding healthy habits in. I have come up with 4 healthy habits that everyone should start doing to improve their lives. These habits are fairly easy to add to your daily life and cost little to nothing. The 4 habits are having a consistent sleep schedule, being productive and stopping procrastinating, prioritizing self-care, and exercising regularly.

The first habit that everyone should adopt is having a consistent sleep schedule. It is proven that about 70% of teens don’t get the recommended amount of sleep each night, which is nine hours. Sleep is crucial to our overall health and quality of life. A few benefits of sleep are a boosted immune system, reduced stress, clearer thinking, and improved mood. I believe that the biggest reason that people don’t get enough sleep is because of social media or being on their phones. One thing that you could do to get a better night’s rest is to put your phone away at a designated time each night. It’s important to have a sleep routine that is unique to you. Overall one should aim to get around eight to nine hours of sleep each night. If you are in a sleep routine then you will feel better about yourself and well rested. Being well-rested is important to live every day to the fullest. It’s important to have a nighttime routine to get you ready for bed and to wind down making it easier to fall asleep. Some things that you could implement into your night routine are taking a relaxing shower, having a skincare routine, having all homework done to eliminate stress, and having a wind-down activity like reading a book or watching a show. It is important to put all electronics away at least half an hour before bedtime.

The second habit that you should start implementing into your life is being productive and stopping procrastinating. I know that it can be challenging to have the motivation to be productive every day, and it can be exhausting to always be on the move. However, being productive will make you feel better about yourself and you will get everything that you need to do done more efficiently. Being productive looks different for everyone so it’s important to find out what it looks like for you. Being in a productive routine every day is important for your mental health and getting things done. Another thing that is important to stop doing in order to be productive is to stop procrastinating. Procrastination is something that everyone is guilty of at one point or another. It’s hard to have the motivation to get everything done that you have to do. However, it’s important to remember that if you don’t procrastinate then you will have more time to do the things you like to do later and actually have fun without the extra pressure of all the incomplete tasks you have. If you stop procrastinating then you will not have the extra stress of incomplete tasks, and you will be a better student because you will have plenty of time to complete assignments. This is why you need to adopt the habit of productivity and stop procrastinating.

The third healthy habit to start doing is prioritizing self-care. Especially since now you are done procrastinating you are going to be more tired. It’s important to take care of yourself, not just physically but also mentally. I think everyone should have little rituals and habits in their everyday life to take care of themselves. This can be stretching, a skincare routine, or doing something you enjoy doing like taking a nice stroll outside or listening to music. Something that has also grown in popularity recently is having self-care days. This is a day that is dedicated to doing the things that you love and taking care of yourself. Some things that you can do on a self-care day are having a pamper day, going to your favorite restaurant, putting on a face mask, or any activity that makes you happy. It’s important to remember to take care of yourself physically and mentally so that you can stay healthy to do the things that you enjoy doing.

The last healthy habit that I recommend that everyone start doing is exercising regularly. Exercising has many physical and mental benefits. Exercise releases serotonin and dopamine. The release of serotonin and dopamine leaves you in a better mood and much happier. Another plus is that you will feel accomplished and productive. This will make you feel good about yourself, raising your self-esteem. Working out also can clear your head and get your frustrations out in a positive way. Exercising no doubt also is a great way to be more healthy, not just physically but also mentally. Overall, regular exercise is a great habit to start doing.

If you start doing these four healthy habits your life will improve. You will feel better every day and live a healthier lifestyle. It’s never too late or the wrong time to improve your life. When you start these four habits you will not be sorry. In conclusion, you should get a head start on these four healthy habits to improve your life as soon as possible.