The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

“Holes”, a production

After attending the play Holes on October 28th, I can give a proper review of the show. It was a fun show with some of my friends in it, which may have created a bit of a bias so keep that in mind. 

While watching it, one thing that was consistent was how well the sets were built. The holes that they dug throughout the show were so creative and made it feel like they were digging in real holes. The scene where they crash on the boat was so well done with the scenery and lighting. 

The acting was mediocre as you would expect for a high school play. I would say though, that for a high school play the production was very well done. The lighting they chose was a significant contributor to the story and helped viewers to understand what was happening. For example, there was a screen in the back that changed colors as if it were the sky. It displayed a day sky, night sky, sunrise, sunset, etc. I think that this really added to the story and helped to grasp the timeline a bit better. It really submersed you into the world that all the characters were living in.

I think that it was a little slow in the first half, but the second half of the show was much better. I have watched the movie before and the overall story and plot aren’t my favorite so that definitely had an effect on my opinion. Overall, even though I wasn’t the biggest fan of the storyline, the sets and production did an amazing job of submersing you in the story.