The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Top five Christmas movies that you have to watch this holiday season

Since it’s now November, every day we are getting closer and closer to Christmas, a time when you should cozy up with some hot chocolate and a good Christmas movie. You should wear comfy clothes and warm sweaters. There are many things that you could do to get in the spirit but watching Christmas movies is of the utmost importance. I know that it can be overwhelming with all the options out there. Not knowing what to watch can be one of the worst feelings. I have come up with five movies that will put you in the holiday spirit. The five movies are Daddy’s Home 2, Home Alone (1 and 2), How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Christmas With the Kranks, and Elf

The first must-watch movie this Christmas season is Daddy’s Home 2. In my opinion, this is such an underrated Christmas movie. The movie is about a family where the parents are divorced and the mom is remarried to a man named Brad. The real father Dusty and Brad have many quarrels throughout the movie, understandably. They decide that they want to make Christmas amazing for their two kids. Dusty, Brad, Sara (the kid’s mom), Don (Brad’s dad), Kurt (Dusty’s dad), and the two kids (Megan and Dylan) all take a trip to the mountains. They all stay in one big cabin in the snow. While staying there they experience many comical situations. This movie is extremely funny and will definitely put you in the Christmas spirit.

The next movie that will put you in the Christmas spirit is Home Alone (1 and 2). The first Home Alone movie is a classic. Most people have watched this iconic Christmas movie. When a young boy is forgotten at home while his family takes a trip, he has to fend for himself when 2 burglars threaten to break into his house. It has a beautiful message about the importance of family. However, Home Alone 2 is just as equally good. It’s about the same kid (Kevin) getting forgotten once again while his whole family gets on a plane for a holiday. He gets on the wrong plane and instead flies to New York. He has to check into a hotel all by himself. He is extremely witty because he manages to get himself around the city while operating his father’s credit card. While his parents are looking for him he has to escape the same two burglars that he faced in the first movie. After many hardships and ups and downs, he finally reunites with his family just in time for Christmas. These two movies are a must-watch or even a re-watch this Christmas season.

The third movie that is a must-watch this holiday season is How the Grinch Stole Christmas. This is another iconic Christmas movie. Starring Jim Carrey as the Grinch, you just know that this is a good watch. If you have never watched this movie you have to watch it as soon as possible. It is absolutely hilarious and heartwarming. Taking place in the fictional town of Whoville, a young girl attempts to re-enlighten the infamous Grinch. He used to be a lover of Christmas but one day his heart shrunk 3 sizes and he turned into the hater of all things, especially Christmas. There are many struggles that the young girl goes through while trying to get the Grinch to come down from his cave for Christmas. This movie will most definitely put you in the Christmas spirit and have a good laugh.

The next movie that is a must-watch this season is Christmas With the Kranks. This Christmas movie is most definitely a need on your TV and will put you in the holiday season. When a couple’s only daughter leaves for college they are alone for the first time during Christmas. Luther, Nora’s husband, convinces her to take a cruise for Christmas. This would mean that they would be skipping Christmas that year. They decide that they will not partake in any holiday traditions that year, resulting in a lot of berating from their Christmas-obsessed town. Two days before Christmas their daughter calls them telling them that she will be coming home for the holidays with her new boyfriend. This means that they are forced to throw their annual Christmas Eve party that they told their daughter they would be having. Luckily, they get help from the neighborhood and are able to pull off the party in just one day. This comical movie will definitely leave you with many laughs and jaw-dropping moments. This is also a movie that will be sure to put you in the X-mas mood.

The last movie that is a must-watch this year is Elf. There is no doubt that this is one of the most iconic Christmas movies. Even if you have watched this movie you should re-watch it because it’s so good it never gets old. It’s about a human elf that comes from the North Pole to New York in hopes of finding his real dad. Once he does find him it’s not at all what he thought their relationship would be like. While Buddy the elf is trying to navigate his way around the city he meets a girl named Jovie. They spend a lot of time together and fall in love. There’s a big situation at the end when Santa Claus comes to New York and his sleigh breaks down. Buddy and his new family have to fix it and save Christmas. This heartwarming comedy will for sure leave you in the holiday spirit.

These five Christmas movies are all a must-watch this holiday season. Whether you’ve already watched most of them or never have watched them you should watch them anyways. In conclusion, grab some hot chocolate and a cozy blanket, turn on the TV, and enjoy these amazing holiday movies.