The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Is fentanyl a threat to you?

The United States is facing a crisis in overdose deaths. Adults and teens nationwide have had to battle with synthetic opioids, the most common being fentanyl. This is the primary driver of overdose deaths and should be a serious concern to all; which is causing more than 106,000 deaths in America in 2021, including more than 1,100 teens that year alone.

Fentanyl’s original purpose is to treat severe pain, but with the recent changes to the drug, it has become more and more deadly. South America has been using it as a drug filler as a cheap alternative. What they seem not to understand is that only 2 grains of salt is a lethal dose of fentanyl. So when experimenting, teens or adults decide to take a pill at a party, it could contain a deadly amount of fentanyl. Laboratory testing from the DEA shows that 7 out of every 10 pills contain a lethal dose of fentanyl in them. The DEA has also seized a record of 62 million fentanyl pills to date in 2023. This shows the immense impact taking drugs can have on one’s life.

However, there are many ways to avoid fentanyl or combat the consequences. First and foremost, never take drugs! If you stay away from drugs, then I can tell you with 100% certainty fentanyl overdoses will never harm you. But if you, by any chance accidentally consume a synthetic opioid, there are further precautions you can take. First, there is a combat drug named Naloxone, otherwise known as Narcan. It is a medication used to reverse opioid overdose rapidly. It works by binding to the same receptors in your brain that opioids attach to, effectively blocking the opioids’ effects and restoring standard breathing patterns and consciousness. Narcan is often administered as a nasal spray or injection and is a critical life-saving tool during opioid emergencies. Keeping this on hand at all times is always a brilliant idea. There is also the SAMHSA hotline where you can call in a crisis. It can either be a preventive or help during the emergency experience. So everyone, please stay informed on the effects of fentanyl and remain cautious.