The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

La La Land; a whimsical and sorrowful production

Verity Foster

La La Land is a stunning romantic musical that invites you to go behind the scenes of the glamorous and mysterious LA, otherwise known as Los Angeles – the city of dreams. The writer and director Damien Chazelle artfully set the scene of two aspiring artists trying to make a name for themselves. While combining both old and new Hollywood, viewers get to see a chemistry between two actors not just through banter but also through dance. A powerful connection of two people in perfect unison that hasn’t been seen since 1930s stars like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. The main characters, Sebastian, a jaded musician set on reviving a dying style of music after losing everything to a deceitful bandmate, and Mia, an aspiring actress who hopes to become a legend on the silver screen, pave the way for their dreams while becoming hopelessly intertwined. 

Mia and Sebastian begin their relationship on the wrong note, trying to make it through your typical Los Angeles traffic jam. They part ways not sparing each other a second thought. As fate draws them together, sparks fly between the unlikely pair. Throughout the movie, there is the constant underlying question of whether or not they have the passion to be able to follow their dreams. Sebastian fantasizes about creating his own jazz club to try and throw a lifeline to the expiring genre. Mia envisions becoming the actress of her childhood dreams. Finances are a struggle for both of them. In their new relationship, Seb feels he should be able to provide more for Mia, who is preparing to jump-start her career by writing and acting in a one-woman show. So when his former bandmate Keith, who steals all his work and leaves him with nothing, strides back into his life, offering him his old job, he accepts. Mia doesn’t like his decision because she believes he is throwing away everything that matters to him for money, and she isn’t wrong. His new job monopolizes most of his time, driving a wedge between the two. The story reaches its turning point when a relationship-altering experience makes Mia turn her back on her dream and return to her old town, leaving Seb heartbroken. 

This film is a jaw-dropping movie that appeals to all the senses and emotions. Watching it is like seeing a masterpiece come to life right before your eyes. From the colors, of their outfits to the scenery, this movie is stunning and is indeed one of a kind. I love the chemistry between Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone; the tension between them is so consuming that viewers can’t take their eyes off of them. They have something that can’t just be created through a script. The two put a lot of hard work into making this movie, singing, dancing, and acting simultaneously. I’ve never loved musicals, but it was perfect for La La Land because it added an extra dimension to the overall plot of the film. Each song plays a significant role in creating emotion that makes the movie whole. 

Although it is one of my favorite movies of all time, the ending caught me off guard. There is a definite twist. The morning of their breakup, Seb gets a call from a director that has him driving to Mia’s hometown to drag her to just one more audition before she gives up. She sings about fools who dare to dream and about her beloved aunt, who inspired her love of acting; she was not only a dreamer but a person with an addiction who drank herself to death. It is such a raw and emotional scene that thoroughly covers the heartbreak and despair she hides. Instead, she carries a witty and charming person. Her show-stopping performance gets her the part, but in the end, the two part ways, knowing their twisted love will get in the way of accomplishing their dreams. 

La La Land is the perfect mix of whimsical and extraordinary sorrow. The characters were so deep and flawed that they felt like real people, making the audience feel all their highs and lows. Even though at times Mia seemed tortured at heart, she has a spark that gives her what she needs to become a phenomenal actress. Sebastian, on the other hand, who in the beginning seems too much of a traditionalist to have insight into the musical revolution he desires, turns out to have what it takes to create a jazz club that not only brings the genre back to life but also became a great hall of fame for all the jazz legends. They both got what they dreamed of; unfortunately, that wasn’t each other. It is by far one of the best movies I have ever watched. Just be sure to have a box of tissues handy because you’ll need it.