The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

An experience at In-N-Out

Founded in 1948, In-N-Out’s first location was in Baldwin Park, CA, off Francisquito and Garvey Street. Here, one of the very first drive-thru’s and double-speaker boxes were born thanks to Harry and Esther Synder, the founders of In-N-Out. Their restaurant grew slowly as their new inventions continued to fascinate customers and innovate the fast-food industry. It was in 1954 when their famous arrow logo was born. After its great success, the company expanded to states like Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, and Texas.

In-N-Out targets middle-class workers, as their burgers cost 3-5 dollars depending on what kind. Most In-N-Out customers are older Caucasians, who make up 48.1% of customers. Latinos make up 34%, African Americans make up 6.4%, and Asians take up 6.5%. 50.1% of customers are male and 49.9% are female. All races and religions are accepted at In-N-Out, no matter the majority of the types of people that eat there. This restaurant chain welcomes children as they have free stickers and paper hats to entertain kids while they wait for their meal to be served. 

Most In-N-Out locations give off a vibe of an old 60’s drive-in fast food place as their worker’s uniforms resemble what fast-food employees would wear during the time period. The restaurant is also decorated with pictures set in the 1960’s such as old cars pulling into one of In-N-Out’s first locations, and pictures of Harry and Esther Synder who founded the restaurant. As soon as you step into the restaurant you can feel the calm, old-school atmosphere engulf you. 

The angelic sight of perfectly done burgers smothered with a waterfall of cheese and thousand-islands sauce blesses all eyes which only makes you crave them more. The fryers sizzle and crack as if they are beckoning all that come in to have a taste of the sublime food they created. The first bite you take of a burger will send you straight to heaven. The ingredients complement each other in a way no other restaurant is capable of doing. Using fresh potatoes from the famous potato state of Idaho, the crisp fries add the perfect amount of flavor to your meal. The aroma from the fries and burger floods your sinuses giving you an unearthly desire to eat it until you cannot resist anymore. 

Out of all the delicious items at In-N-Out the most popular menu item is slathered in rich thousand-islands sauce and has two delicious juicy patties in between two toasted buns. Melted American cheese and seared onions, fresh lettuce and tomatoes; the perfect combination of ingredients in order to make the best burger ever: the Double-Double. 

In-N-Out is a medium-size fast food chain that manages to maintain great quality ingredients and food just as well as a single-location restaurant would.