The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Ahba, the next big thing

The small-town favorite, Ahba, initially took the grounds in the summer of 2019. The owner, Nick Bennet, is the face behind the perfectly seasoned french fries and delectable cheeseburgers. The warm lighting creates a cozy atmosphere, making for the perfect date night or  family dinner. This locally oriented restaurant only has one location: the beloved Laguna Beach, CA. Sitting right on Pacific Coast Highway allows the beach to be just seconds away. It’s south of Laguna, giving it a more locals-only feel. Ahba is a girls’ night out destination, and for tourists, it’s a necessity to eat there when visiting. Walking up to the counter, you can feel the beaming energy from each employee as they gladly deliver every order. The sizzle from the stove floods your ears, but that’s overthrown as it is crowded and fast-paced. Ahba is more than a restaurant; it’s a place for a town to gather, a place of convenience for families. The employees recognize regular customers, making it a memorable experience. The boho-hippie vibe flows throughout the environment, producing a relaxing and comfortable atmosphere. Plants fill each corner, bringing life to the room, while each chair and table is its own; no furniture in the restaurant is the same. The outdoor breeze with the cars flying by on the highway allows for hustle. The ongoing mingling from all the groups shows friendship while the single eater enjoys his perfectly cooked two-layer cheeseburger. 

When ordering, the go-to item at Ahba is their cheeseburger. The gooey cheese is perfectly melted on top of the double-layered patties. The sweet caramelized onions balance savory to sweet, all tied together by the buttery bun that comforts your stomach. This comes with a side of salty, crunchy French fries paired with an aioli, the perfect ketchup-to-mayonnaise ratio, making for a delicious palette cleanser. My personal favorite is the Caesar salad; the crispy pieces of lettuce are topped with a creamy caesar dressing; the lettuce’s fresh taste and finely chopped bread crumbs leave your mouth begging for more. The satisfaction after eating Ahba succeeds any other restaurant. You feel perfectly pleased when walking out of the cozy environment. When walking to your car, the warmth of your surroundings bundles you as you pass by the lively plants. The food you will have just eaten will leave you wanting to come back for more. You’ll feel fulfilled from this dish, wanting to come back for every meal. My tip for going to Ahba is if you’re going for a family dinner, go on a Wednesday night, a rare night for going out. But if you want to experience a girls’ night out, head over to Ahba on a Friday night, perfect for the going-out appeal. You’ll never feel rushed by the employees; their friendliness makes you feel like you have all the time in the world to choose from this mouth-watering menu.