The student news site of Laguna Beach High School

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

Brush and Palette

A must-visit hidden gem of Tokyo

The Sashimi Bowl and Tempura Set

The Ginza District in Tokyo, Japan is famous for its bustling and urban environment. But within all of the busyness of the area, an accidental turn into a small alley can have one walking into Sanshuya, a small and traditional Japanese pub. 

Founded in 1968, Sanshuya had its beginnings in the era of postwar Japan, when Ginza was turning into a commercial area. The restaurant is on the bottom floor of a home. Sanshuya is very welcoming to solo diners, with counters and dividers for people eating alone. Those who eat at the restaurant are usually local salarymen who work around the area. 

With crispy, golden brown edges that crunch when bitten into, the shrimp tempura meal is a signature dish of the restaurant. The three pieces of shrimp are the perfect amount to fulfill an appetite. When eaten with the rice on the side, the combination of chewiness from the rice and the crispiness of the tempura flakes will make the customer go back for more.

Before the meal itself, the small plate of pickled vegetables acts as a cleansing appetizer to ensure that all of the flavors of the meal are taken in. The various sides on the dish such as the thinly sliced fresh cabbage act as palette cleansers in between different bites and combinations. The miso soup warms up the entire body with its umami taste from the seaweed brought in fresh by a fisherman daily. The workers frequently walk around with kettles of hot, steaming, matcha tea that creates a perfect way to wash down the entire meal. 

The restaurant is primarily known for their sashimi bowl, with all of the ingredients derived from the famous Tsukiji fish market. The rice bowl comes with bright orange uni, tender raw shrimp, tuna that melts immediately in the mouth, and sweet squid sahimi. The variety tastes of fish are harmonious with each other, making each bite different but uniquely amazing. 

Being able to go to the restaurant with a local regular is an experience on its own as their friendships with the workers make the restaurant feel like a family living room. The stories embedded in the walls of this restaurant are truly intriguing, such as the peculiar orders of celebrity customers to the occasional tourists that stumble upon the restaurant not knowing what it is or what exactly they are ordering. This restaurant is a historic yet lively destination for many. When visiting Tokyo, locals who know the place would be sure to point this place out as a hidden gem. Get yourself some traditional Japanese food and tea at Sanshuya after a long day of shopping in Ginza.