Safe Rides drives teens to safety

Lauren LaMontagne, PR Liaison

Twenty-eight people die in America every day as a result of car crashes involving drunk driving. With increasing awareness regarding the dangers of drunk driving, many organizations have increased their commitment to student safety by providing safe alternatives to driving drunk. Regardless of legality, students regularly attend high school parties where they drink, putting themselves and others at risk on the way home. The one thing people can do to increase teen safety is to guarantee that no teenager will drive under the influence of alcohol.
“Safe Rides keeps under-the-influence teenage drivers off the road while improving Laguna Beach’s safety,” said LBHS senior and Safe Rides co-president Tessa Saxe.
Safe Rides is a non-profit organization that provides free, confidential rides home to students who are not fit to drive themselves home safely. Run by peers, safe rides promotes a trustworthy environment that limits adult involvement with the students.
“All volunteers are required to take an oath promising to abide by the confidentiality clause. Callers aren’t even required to give their real names; we only ask for the caller’s name so our driver can identify that they have picked up the right student,” said Saxe.
In 1981, a group of students from Darien High School in Connecticut formed the Safe Rides Organization that has now spread as a club throughout the United States. In 1993, the South County Safe Rides spread to more than ten local Orange County high schools. Ever since Safe Rides has been introduced to these communities, there has been a noticeable increase in teen safety after parties. Each high school operates its own program through high school student leadership.
“Hearing about peers putting their own lives at risk motivated me to start the Safe Rides program at Laguna Beach High School,” said Saxe.
Saxe and Rounaghi revived the club two years ago after the club had been dormant for a while at LBHS. Safe Rides LBHS is run by seniors Alex Rounaghi and Tessa Saxe, as well as juniors Katie Hayden and Jack Wills. Saxe recently passed down the head presidency to Hayden, who is eager to continue Safe Rides once the twelfth grade leaders have moved on.
“We encourage students to utilize Safe Rides whenever needed and take advantage of this strong program,” said Hayden.
All one has to do is pick up the phone and dial the Safe Rides number and an anonymous student volunteer then answers the phone and collects information regarding the pick-up. Safe Rides is open from 10:00 p.m. to 1:15 a.m. on Saturday nights. Rides are for junior high and high school students only. Drivers’ boundaries are from Salt Creek to Crystal Cove, and inward to Laguna Audubon in Aliso Viejo.
“I was skeptical to use Safe Rides because I never really thought it would be reliable, but once I did, I felt very happy to know I made a smart decision in getting a ride home. I refrained from putting myself in a possibly dangerous situation, and I thank Safe Rides for that,” said an anonymous LBHS student.
Safe Rides does take students home; however, it does not act as a taxi. While using the great resource, students must remember that a one-way ride home is all that is provided. Additionally, Safe Rides will not give more than two kids a ride home at once. If more than two passengers need a ride to the same location, the Safe Rides drivers will make an additional trip. The Safe Rides organization is more than happy to help those specifically in need of a reliable ride. Adhering to these rules allows the student-run club to maintain its affiliation with the South County Safe Rides organization.
The Safe Rides staff is eager to find new members to participate. You do not have to have a license in order to participate, for there are many other important roles involved with the club. As a safe rides member, you get to help local students while earning community service hours.
It’s not too late to join, so contact one of the four co-presidents above, and they will get you the information needed to join.
“We are eager to yet again help our community and provide a useful service for fellow LBHS students. We not only want to limit casualties, but we also want to improve our community,” said Hayden.
Safe Rides recommends that you call them in the event that you are about to make any of the following justifications for driving under the influence in Laguna:
“It’s only a short distance. Everywhere in Laguna is so close.”
“I had the least to drink tonight out of anybody. I feel sober.”
“I stopped drinking two hours ago.”
“I’m under the influence, but not from alcohol.”
“My mom will know if I come home without my car.”