Potential CPR classes in our community

Chloe Falk, Reporter

The Laguna Beach Fire Department wants to begin teaching CPR lessons to those interested at our school. Due to some of the devastating events in the past, Fire Division Chief Api Weinert believes that it would be very beneficial for the majority of the student body to have this skill.  

CPR training SAVES lives, without question. CPR is also best performed by more than one person; having many people trained in CPR is a force multiplier,” said Weinert. Whether a person uses that training to recognize the need or be able to call 911 or access an AED, even those tasks can save a life.”

It is difficult to predict when and where the need for a CPR-trained individual will arise. 

There have been several recent CPR incidents at LBHS. Some have been adults and some students, whether it be an incident on campus, at a student’s workplace or at the beach,” said Weinert. 

If multiple staff and students undergo updated training, the likelihood of positive outcomes for individuals undergoing a medical emergency will skyrocket. 

“Having 200 plus more people trained in CPR would have a direct impact on saving lives,” said Weinert. 

Two hundred people would be just the beginning. If the fire department taught these classes and worked with the school district to integrate them into the health curriculum every year, the number of CPR-trained students would continue to rise exponentially in the years to come.

“CPR certification requires approximately three hours of training. The training is interactive and hands-on. On-campus training opportunities for students would not only offer a great student experience but a lifelong, useful skill,” said LBHS’ assistant principal Brian Carlson. 

While these classes may not be available in the immediate future, interested students are encouraged to speak with their teachers and school administration regarding the possibilities. 

“We also are looking at incorporating CPR into Health Science courses or freshman curriculum,” said Weinert.  

The LBFD has already begun by hosting CPR events on campus in previous years and around the city, but the logistics for additional training at LBHS are still being ironed out.

“There is a cost associated with the training that would have to be approved. Classes could be taught in one session or broken up over several days,” said Carlson. 

With a high degree of community involvement in student education, in general, Laguna Beach schools are particularly fortunate to have such close ties with the local police and fire departments. 

“Laguna [students go] throughout the country and world. Our community could be known for producing selfless individuals who are trained to save lives,” said Weinert.