Park Avenue players take on American classic

Scarlett Wheaton, Business Manager

If you’ve ever been exposed to any type of entertainment, it’s more than likely you’ve heard a reference to the classic production, Our Town. Described by Edward Albee as “the greatest American play ever written,” Our Town tells the story of regular, provincial Americans. Produced by LBHS drama teacher Alexis Karol and directed by LBHS alumnus Celena DelPizzo-Howell, Our Town takes place in small-town Grover’s Corners, New Hampshire, and spans from 1901-1913, following the lives of teens Emily Webb and George Gibbs.

“I truly love the play for its humility, simplicity and ability to enlighten its audience. Our lives are full of moments and experiences that we tend to overlook. To me, the lesson is to find meaning and beauty in all that surrounds you,” said DelPizzo-Howell.

Our Town may be categorized as a classic, but it has so many messages that relate to our generation such as enjoy life, follow your heart and stop and smell the roses. In the play, the plot follows young Emily and George as they grow up together, get married and experience loss. 

“It’s a classic, a true landmark in American theatre! I believe it’s an important piece for young theatre artists to familiarize themselves with,” said Karol.

This production, honoring the playwright’s vision, has a very limited set and period costumes; most girls and women are in dresses as was accustomed, and men in slacks and hats. The stage will be dressed with only a few props, such as chairs, tables and ladders as a way of conveying the story in a minimalistic style.

“Acting in this type of setting is difficult in that it relies much more on creativity rather than just plain stage direction. With fewer props and sets to rely on, acting in this way demands a different level of maturity and professionalism that isn’t typically as significant in plays with a full set. Even though it’s difficult, it’s even more rewarding when things go well,” said senior Dani Gagne.

Along with the look of the play, the sound will also be a bit different than others you may have seen, as the entire cast will be using accents suited to the New Hampshire setting.

“One of the more challenging aspects of the play is the amount of pantomiming the actors are called upon to perform. This is something new and different for our students,” said Karol.

Our Town looks to be a very promising production and you won’t want to miss it! Performances will be on Oct. 25-27 and Nov. 1-3, Fridays and Saturdays at 7 p.m. and Sundays at 2:30 p.m. in the Artists Theatre. Students for $12, Adults for $17 and Premium for $22. Tickets can also be found at lbhs.booktix.com.