Understanding stress and anxiety

Ellie Ford, Reporter

Some students feel overwhelmed by homework.  It’s important to learn how to deal with pressure.

At some point in their life, everyone has struggled with stress. Stress is a short-term response to a situation.  According to a NYU study about high school stress, 49% of students feel tremendous loads of pressure. What many may not realize is that stress can be both good and bad.  

With practice, stress can become a powerful tool for success. To better understand and transform the pressure, you must understand the difference between good and bad stress. An example of good stress would be studying for a test.  Instead of freaking out, you calmly sit down and get your work done. You allow your stress to motivate you to study so you can get a good grade.

“Sometimes when I get home from school, I’m so tired and stressed out that I can’t get anything done,” said freshman Zoe Gort.

Stress will never disappear; it’s a part of life.  It’s vital to know how to deal and handle stress. Alex Aronson, Student Support Specialist at LBHS, suggests that every student find his or her own “healthy coping strategies.” Exercise, listening to music or talking to someone—whether it be a counselor, friend or parent—are all examples of healthy coping mechanisms.  

If stress is not taken care of properly, it can lead to problems involving anxiety. Anxiety is a clinically diagnosed mental health condition.  When someone has been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, he or she persistently and often overwhelmingly feels nervous and anxious.

“Anxiety is fear and worry based and is caused by irrational fears,”said Aronson.

In your life, it’s important to understand and respect stress.  When you are stressed, don’t be afraid to take a break, relax, and do things that make you happy.  Your stress is temporary, but your happiness is forever.

Stress is unavoidable, especially for high school students.

“The first week, I was surprised about how much different it was from middle school—it was a whole new experience,” said freshman Lauren Tumbleson.

The difference between middle school and high school is the amount of work received and the amount of responsibility given to you. The transition can be hard to get used to at first, but the adjustment is manageable.

“The first week was definitely the hardest because it was all new, but I quickly readjusted myself and adapted to high school,” said Gort.

If you are feeling anxious don’t be afraid to reach out to the mental health resources provided at LBHS.   

Nicole Rosa Counselor A-GK- [email protected]

Jeanne Brown  Counselor GL-O –[email protected]

Angela Pilon  Counselor P-Z-[email protected]

Alex Aronson Student Specialist  [email protected]

Lila Samia Student Psychologist- [email protected]  

Other resources outside of school include:

Teen Line 1-310-855-HOPE (4673) or 1-800- TLC-TEEN (852-8336)

The teen line is available from 6pm to 10pm and provides a chance for teens to talk to real teens.  

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Helpline 1-800-950-NAMI (6264)

“Stress is a normal part of life; it’s positive and negative and is a response to everyday life.” Aronson says.