Freshmen Standout Athletes

Sam Nelsen takes home 6th place, helping his team win 2nd.

Willie Rounaghi, Sports Editor

Mateo Bianchi

“Mateo has made an impact by making the Varsity team deeper and stronger. It is really rare for a freshman boy to make the Varsity Cross Team, let alone be in the top. Mateo is currently ranked as the second ranked freshman in the State for D4. If he continues on this path, he will be one of the top runners in the state,” said coach Scott Wittkop.

“I hope to get us on the podium for CIF. Also, I want to individually run sub-16 minutes by the end of post season,” said Bianchi.

“What drives me is the older guys on the team and trying to keep up with them.”

Tyson Lockhart

“Tyson has been a great asset to the team this year. He was the highest ranked freshman after tryouts. Following this, he has had some great results in our contests. His potential is great. He is young and comes from a surfing family, so I think he can do whatever he sets his mind to,” said coach Scott Finn.

“My goal in the future is to be the team captain of the Laguna Beach surf team and win our division,” said Lockhart.  

“What drives me the most in surfing is that every day the waves change, which brings on a new challenge.”

Lucas Schimmelpfennig

“On day one, he really didn’t know too much about football and the skills and techniques that it takes to be good let alone great at this game… So for Lucas to come in and from day one be counted on to play o ensive and defensive line on our frosh/soph level can all be contributed to his work ethic and internal drive to be the best player he can be,” said coach Brian Bishop.

“My biggest goal would be to help my team above all else,” said Schimmelpfennig.

“The most challenging part of my sport is the constant hitting and the pain that you deal with, but that is what drives me, as well,” said Schimmelpfennig.

Jessie Rose

“Jessie Rose has made an immediate impact on our team. She has stepped up and is currently the #2 runner, behind senior Evie Cant. She’s ultra competitive, she’s hard work- ing, she’s committed, she’s not afraid to compete and her desire to be the best runner possible makes her very valu- able to our team, on and o the course,” said coach Steve Lalim.

“I have many goals. I want to be the best athlete and per- son I can be. Also, I want to unite as a team and make it to the state meet. at would be amazing,” said Rose.

“What drives me most is my desire to improve. My teammates are so supportive and they encourage me to be better.”

Booker Frith

“Booker is a great kid. He’s always at practice and gives 100% every day. He is by far the most skilled player on the JV squad. Booker’s potential on the beach is strong. As far as high school beach volleyball goes, the sky’s the limit,” said coach Everett Blanton.

“My goal for myself individually is that I can eventually get scouted for the national team and one day represent USA in the Olympics. at would be so hype,” said Frith.

“My motivation comes from wanting to be the best that I can be. When I’m not giving it my all, I know I’m not going to improve.”

Keller Kramer

“Keller is an extremely hard worker and is a very fast swimmer. His hard work at practice pushes everyone around him. Additionally, he is very strong and very ag- gressive. He does a great job on the counter attack for us as well as in 2M. With Keller’s work ethic the sky is the limit as to what he can accomplish at LBHS in water polo,” said coach Ethan Damato.

“During my high school experience with water polo, I just want to have fun and grow with my friends,” said Kramer.

“The fact that I’m playing with 18-year-olds and bigger guys really drives me to compete and improve,” said Kramer.

Amelia Simmons

“Amelia has the determination and drive to go far in the game of tennis. Her competitive spirit and willingness to learn are both assets that serve our team through her example. Amelia’s potential is limitless. As long as she continues to focus on her technique and strategy, she has the athleticism to play college tennis,” said coach Rick Conkey.

“I practice in many ways to improve by having private lessons, attending clinics with other players and by joining the Laguna Beach tennis team,” said Simmons.

“Individually, I hope to gain more knowledge about tennis and improve my skills. I hope to possibly play my sport in college.”

Giavanna DiMond

“GiGi is a freshman with a ton of potential.  She earned first team All League Honors and has been a pleasant addition to our golf team.  She helped us to an 8-0 mark in league and a first place finish.  With three years left, the sky is the limit for GiGi,” said coach Jon Hendrickson.

“My goal is to become a professional golfer for the LPGA. But, during my high school career, I want to  become team captain for next year’s tryouts,” said DiMond.

“When playing golf, I have struggles such as hitting a great shot, then completely messing up the next. But that drives me more because I want to work harder to become an even better player.”

Jacquelyn Strawn

“Jacquelyn is an all around volleyball player that can pass, hit, block, serve and defend. She has adapted well to a new position this year as a middle and leads our team

in blocks. Jacquelyn will continue to develop as a high school volleyball player, and if she continues to grow and work hard, she can be a standout college player,” said coach Shawn Patchell.

“I’ve played for 6 years competitively at T street Volleyball club,” said Strawn.

“My goals are to get into a good college for volleyball and have a fun four years in high school.”